First look: 1Password 4 for iOS

gabriel_rinaldi
gabriel_rinaldi
Community Member
Just read this http://www.imore.com/first-look-1password-4-iphone-ipad and was impressed with it. Will there be a beta version for it too? I love testing the Mac betas, would be great to help with the iPhone version too.

Comments

• hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    What? No option to share passwords for Facebook or Twitter? * Star !

;-)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I don't have any details of any beta testing at the moment, but we will definitely be reaching out to the community here if/when we have some slots to fill. Apple only gives developers a limited number of device slots and with each of user occupying usually at least 2 slots (between iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, iPad mini, etc.) that doesn't leave too many more. We will definitely keep you posted. :)

And, no, hmurchison, the developers seem more concerned with "security" than "socializing". I think they don't know how to party. :lol: Maybe I can convince them once we nail down this Google Buzz integration. ;)
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Looks great and looking forward to purchasing this again to support the development efforts. Nice work.
  • hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    I think what i'm going to appreciate the most are just the organizational aspects of the upgrade. With iCloud I won't have to worry about hitting sync to pull the latest changes from Dropbox. With Favorites i'm going to have more of the stuff I use commonly and i'm sure there are a few surprise and delights that have yet to be uncovered.
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Yes, the efficiency appears to improve based on the teaser pictures.

There are several UI elements, including an entire toolbar button, that weren't even mentioned. I think there is plenty left to reveal later.

I sure hope the articles release means that the general public will see the app soon. But, I definitely want development to take the time it needs to make it robust.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks, guys! hmurchison, you shouldn't have to tap anything to sync Dropbox unless you intentionally set it up to sync manually. Let me know. I'd love to help with that in a new thread.

"Favorites" are one of my, um, favorite new features. It's crazy how useful it is to have them right there. Turns out I really only use a small number of items *all the time* on my iOS devices. :)

I'm super excited for you guys to see all the rest of the new features when we unveil more. It is so hard to keep such awesome news a secret. I'd almost rather be kept in the dark until the big unveil. I'm tempted to demand hush money. :lol:
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Khad,

Just between you and I, what is this all about?

Screen%20Shot%202012-11-15%20at%205.37.55%20PM.png?dl=1

I promise, I will keep it a secret.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2012
    I will tell you, but my answer will be encrypted. :)

U2FsdGVkX18Uvoqd1Nuczj1sFC9wqTXxJqR1upbPaO0ZsQXpBGWuWcn74utAj9K744ghlpD+RIPkf
    ONdZXQVuPBnnebEtBFea/C6G6VZl/tlX8YSnCSt7m8Iw9RzBM1027bAfFmBVsWIGPXEVXor/XID0P
    MA+Bwt5Uka5RbD+l7D0VNtWMcw1oQcqwHZefBY+jTTdbfXvLcy2PbMw2gfbw

• tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    Now that we are reaching the final stages of 1P 4 for iOS, can you give any word on how this update will be priced? I bought the iPhone app recently after I purchased the Mac app, and would be irritated if a paid update was offered so soon. I know I do not have to update, but I would be tempting not too...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2012
    What pricing details we have announced are in the last section of the aforelinked iMore post:

http://www.imore.com...d-4-iphone-ipad

Update: AgileBits sent us a statement on pricing:

1Password 4 for iOS is a brand new [universal] app. It will require a purchase. There will be a special price available at launch time. The existing 1Password iOS apps will no longer be sold. They will continue to be supported, will sync with 1Password 4 and be available for download in the "Purchased" section of iTunes.

I'm really happy to hear this. Apple should implement upgrade pricing in the App Store, but in the meantime, this is the only solution developers are afforded. Offering a discount at launch is a classy way to mitigate upgrade cost for existing users, similar to upgrade pricing. Bottom line, I like it when developers can afford to feed their families, and make successful, long-lasting businesses that can create more great apps and updates in the future. Most of us don't work for free; neither should developers.
  • gabriel_rinaldi
    gabriel_rinaldi
    Community Member
    I forgot to state on my notes for the beta signup that I speak Brazilian Portuguese too, will that be a problem?

I can't wait to test the new features, I'm using it for over 4 years now I can't imagine my life without it, actually, my live is all inside 1Password :)
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    How do you offer to Beta test? I would be willing to help out if slots are available.
  • MikeT
    edited November 2012
    Hi Fooligan,

We tweeted about this as we're looking for bilingual folks to help test 1Password 4 to make sure it's ready for the world.

If you can help us with that, please sign up here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/new

@Gabrial, no worries, we'll take care of you!

Thanks!
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information, I did not see that link previously.

I am not bilingual, unless you consider US slang a second language. I will wait for the official release.
  • Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member
    i was disappointed with the previous version as (unlike the OSX version) one couldn't enter passwords directly from the actual browser - Safari for iOS in this case.

I can't work that way - so end up using it just to store the passwords and having to enter them in the real browser manually.

This version continues the same path of being proprietary inside the App's browser itself. (sweat) Maybe it's a security thing, but regardless, it just doesn't work for me.
  • tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    Kengel wrote:

i was disappointed with the previous version as (unlike the OSX version) one couldn't enter passwords directly from the actual browser - Safari for iOS in this case.

I can't work that way - so end up using it just to store the passwords and having to enter them in the real browser manually.

This version continues the same path of being proprietary inside the App's browser itself. (sweat) Maybe it's a security thing, but regardless, it just doesn't work for me.

I agree that using the in-app browser is annoying. However, as per Apple's iOS regulations, they are not permitted to develop for anything outside of their application. Apple does this for security reasons. While having an extra button in Safari to submit logins like in OS X would be awesome, to do that, they would have to develop and distribute their package to a select group of people who circumnavigate Apple's regulations in order to have more freedom and usability on their device. These people are called Jailbreakers. Jailbreaking is free (and technically legal, except on an iPad), but it cannot be preformed on certain devices depending on your firmware. In addition to breaking Apple's rules, Agile Bits rejects this option because it affects so few people. Although, for the people it affects, the benefit is great. Learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking
  • tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    Khad, in the recent newsletter, it was revealed that 1P4 for iOS would be discounted at $7.99. How long will this discount last, and will it be discounted as much sometime over Christmas? Also, will there be only a universal app this time around, or will their still be a separate, but cheaper, app for the iPhone?
  • Hi guys,

@Kengel, we would love to support Mobile Safari the same way we do on the computers, that would be amazing to do but Apple does not allow anybody to escape the sandbox that the iOS apps are in.

Each app you have on your iOS devices can't escape its own folders for security reasons, so there are no integration possible between Safari and the apps at all. It is possible that Apple could allow the use of native extensions in the future of iOS when there are enough resources to do so but nobody knows for sure.

If we force this or support it through jailbreaking, Apple can ban us from all of their App Stores and we will not be able to sell 1Password on the iOS platform at all. So, we don't have any choices here but to support our own built-in browser.

@tachley, we don't have that information about the duration yet because we don't know when 1Password 4 for iOS will go on sale yet.

As for universal, right now, this will be a universal app only, we're not likely to separate them again.

Help this helps, please let me know if you have more questions!
  • charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member
    I have 1Password for iPad, don't have an iPhone or any other smartphone for that matter, and wonder when the upgrade to iPad for OS 4 arrives if I'm eligible for the discounted price.
  • Hi Charlie,

Everybody will be eligible for the introduction price. 1Password 4 is a separate and universal app, so it doesn't matter what app you have now, you'll be able to get 1Password 4 for whichever iOS model you have at that price.
  • tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    Will the release of 1P4 for iOS coincide with a release of 1P4 for Mac?
  • No,

1Password 4 for Mac will not be released alongside with the 1Password 4 for iOS app.

Please do note that if you have 1Password 3.9.x from the Mac App Store, it does include a free update to 1Password 4 for Mac. So, as soon as it is out, you'll be updated to it.

We'll release more details about the Mac app as soon as we have something to share.
  • Paco II
    Paco II
    Community Member
    edited November 2012
    I can't wait for this update! I'm a little concerned with the changes to the PIN functionality based on the article, but will definitely reserve judgement until I've used it and see what the changes actually are. The app looks gorgeous! Can't wait for global search!!

A request to the developers: When the app is released, I'd love to get AgileBits' thoughts (Blog post?) on the reasons one would use Dropbox versus iCloud. Also, what would be the pluses and minuses of using both services at the same time.
  • Hi Paco,

We will have a user manual for 1Password 4 that'll include a section on the pros and cons of both services, so that users can decide on what will work for them.

The most important one is that Dropbox is cross-platform, so it'll work on Android/Windows/Windows Phone in addition to OS X/iOS. iCloud is restricted to Apple platforms only, OS X/iOS.

There will be more detailed information when we're done with it.
  • Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:
    we would love to support Mobile Safari the same way we do on the computers, that would be amazing to do but Apple does not allow anybody to escape the sandbox that the iOS apps are in.

Each app you have on your iOS devices can't escape its own folders for security reasons, so there are no integration possible between Safari and the apps at all. It is possible that Apple could allow the use of native extensions in the future of iOS when there are enough resources to do so but nobody knows for sure.

If we force this or support it through jailbreaking, Apple can ban us from all of their App Stores and we will not be able to sell 1Password on the iOS platform at all. So, we don't have any choices here but to support our own built-in browser.

Thanks, I was kind of aware of this, as I mentioned "security" being the reason. Oh well - in any event - if you only need to go to one site for one thing, it's great. And is still useful for securely accessing the data to enter into Safari iOS.

Multiple browser windows running "unlocked' sites in tabs would really help though - I didn't see that in the new features...?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Not all new features have been announced. Not even half of them. :)

Please stay tuned.
  • tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

I will tell you, but my answer will be encrypted. :)

U2FsdGVkX18Uvoqd1Nuczj1sFC9wqTXxJqR1upbPaO0ZsQXpBGWuWcn74utAj9K744ghlpD+RIPkf
    ONdZXQVuPBnnebEtBFea/C6G6VZl/tlX8YSnCSt7m8Iw9RzBM1027bAfFmBVsWIGPXEVXor/XID0P
    MA+Bwt5Uka5RbD+l7D0VNtWMcw1oQcqwHZefBY+jTTdbfXvLcy2PbMw2gfbw

Oh, so that's what it is, eh?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    :lol: That actually was a real sentence at one point. I can't now remember how it was encrypted, though, and my memory isn't what it used to be. I think we will all just have to wait for the release now.
  • Paco II
    Paco II
    Community Member
    I can't stand the waiting! ;)
  • I just purchased the Mac + Windows Bundle today, and I think this software is pretty awesome. I'm just hoping I don't have to wait long to purchase the iOS version. Can someone at Agilebits give us an ETA? give or take a month?
This discussion has been closed.