1 password 7 extension for mac disappeared

Options
IgorE
IgorE
Community Member

I'm on a mac PB, running OS 10.14.6, I've been using 1 password 7 with safari extension for the last few months. While updating flash player all extensions were removed from safari, how can I get the 1 password 7 extension back on safari?
Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @IgorE! Welcome to the forum!

You can just enable the 1Password extension for Safari once again. You can do it under Safari Preferences > Extensions tab;

• IgorE
    IgorE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, that is what I thought, but the extension had disappeared. I mistakenly installed malware which removed my extensions. I have cleared up the malware but I can't get 1password extension back, I also can't login directly from the 1password aplication any more, I have to type the website, username & passwords manually. any thoughts welcome!

• IgorE
    IgorE
    Community Member
    Options

BTW I have started using firefox which allows Ubock origins as an extension, which would have protected me from the malware, me thinking safari no good no more...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@IgorE - In 1Password 7 for Mac (and Safari 12 or higher), the extension is actually part of the 1Password app itself. You can't re-install it from our website or the Safari Extensions Gallery like you used to be able to do. If you don't see the extension for 1Password even listed in Safari, the way to get it back will be to delete the entire 1Password application. This won't affect your data:

1. Quit Safari and all other running browsers.
    2. Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Delete the 1Password 7 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash and restart your Mac.
    4. Visit our downloads page and download the current version of 1Password 7 for Mac, and run the installer.

Your data should be exactly as you left it when you re-launch 1Password for the first time after installation. Let us know if you run into any difficulties.

By the way, Firefox and Safari are both great browsers -- and there are options for blockers that can be installed in Safari as well (though we don't have any official recommendations). But the most-important bit of online security in a browser is a heads-up approach to what you click. There just isn't any tool that can protect all users in all circumstances, so be careful what you click and stay safe out there. :)

• IgorE
    IgorE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, thanks very much for the info, I wasn't sure if by deleting the app I might loose the data, good to know I can go ahead and reinstall 1password. In case it helps anyone the site I was looking prompted me to update my copy of flashplayer, don't do it! It's how the malware got in, I've been told no one needs flash anymore. Thanks, have a great weekend!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @IgorE! And on behalf of Lars too, you are welcome.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.