1Password and Python

I'd really like a python API so I can retrieve passwords from my 1Password keychain for using in scripts with secure handling of the 1password password.

Sort of like this http://pypi.python.org/pypi/keyring but for 1password

Would you guys think of making something like that?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2012
    Welcome to the forums, David! Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I split your post from that two year old thread since it was a bit more generic than your specific request. I wanted to make sure to give your post the attention it deserves. I hope you don't mind. :)

Offhand, I'm not sure of the security implications which has been a big concern with other such requests. (We looked at and had to reject AppleScript support for this reason, just as one example.)

We've been super busy with some other things lately, but I've passed your request along to the developers.

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Jaharmi
    Jaharmi
    Community Member
    I was disappointed that 1Password offered no AppleScript support when I recently tried to use it. (If there isn't a blog post about the decision, I'd be interested in hearing about the deliberations.)

Support for some basic non-keychain-item options, like the ability to use the equivalent of the 1Password menu > Lock 1Password command, would be helpful for scripters trying to integrate 1Password with other tools, like LaunchBar. (Maybe that's the only command that would be useful and meet the security criteria.)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We actually had an Automator workflow that would lock 1Password when you minimized or hid it. I can't find it offhand, but I'll see if I can dig it up.
  • davidtreynolds
    davidtreynolds
    Community Member

I just searched for this again and found my own post that I had forgotten I wrote! Has a decision been made or has this moved anywhere since we last spoke about it?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davidtreynolds,

Thanks for checking in on us! Unfortunately, I'm not sure that we will ever have an API for 1Password. There are some security concerns here: opening the door to another application or script could provide a mechanism for a malicious script to send users' data to a third party. If there were a secure way to implement something like this, our developers would certainly consider it.

This discussion has been closed.