macOS 10.15 + Security Key (YubiKey 5ci / NFC) not working

Options
DirtyArray
DirtyArray
Community Member

I recently purchased 2 YubiKeys - one 5ci and one 5 NFC. I setup both with 1Password using Firefox on macOS 10.15 . When I unlock the macOS App it does not care for the keys but instead asks for a OTP. Where can I set the mac app to use the security key?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@DirtyArray,

Thanks for writing in with your question. The keys are only supported in the iOS app and the web site currently.

• DirtyArray
    DirtyArray
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, that's pretty inconvenient. Thanks for the clarification.

• Ben
    Options

@DirtyArray

We'd love to expand that, but there are some other higher priority irons in the fire at the moment. It may help to better understand the role of 2FA within 1Password. The only time 2FA comes into play for your 1Password account is when authorizing a new (or previously deauthorized) device / browser. Unlike traditional services that rely on authentication, where 2FA comes into play each time you authenticate with the service, 1Password works on an encryption model. As such the scope for 2FA is more limited.

Ben

• DirtyArray
    DirtyArray
    Community Member
    Options

Thats true. But still the user experience is somewhat sub-optimal when you enable your security keys and then you are suddenly asked by the app to fall back to the time-based one-time-passwords. It makes you think you did something wrong. But at least that explains why you can't remove the authenticator app once security keys are configured.
    As a suggestion clearer communication (like: Security keys do not work in the 1Password app) when setting them up would be helpful.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.