Delete old passwords?

Options
DavidB
DavidB
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Mac

When I click on the Passwords icon in the sidebar, I notice that I have a very large number of passwords with no other information, going back several years.

Is there a reason 1P has generated these separately from Logins I have created?

Can they safely be put in the Trash?

Thank you,

David

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DavidB - you can delete anything you like in 1Password as long as you're sure you don't need it anymore. :) Whether you need a given password isn't really within our power to say conclusively. What may have happened here is that you generated these passwords in previous versions of 1Password, and they weren't converted to Login items. Any site for which you have a valid, working Login item in 1Password, probably already has saved that same password in the Password field of the Login item, and thus the associated Password item (with the key icon) can probably be trashed and deleted.

Having said that, if you're the cautious sort who wonders when/if you might ever need something again, you can also create an Archives vault and put any no-longer-used items into that (and remove this Archives vault from the All Vaults view by deselecting it in 1Password > Preferences > Vaults > Show in All Vaults. Hope that helps.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars,

Thank you for your reply -- I thought that was probably the case and will delete them.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DavidB - you're quite welcome. :) :+1: Glad I was able to help.

This discussion has been closed.