1Password X for Chrome and TouchID

odysseus
odysseus
Community Member

I had 1Password X for Chrome working with TouchID at some point (I was using the beta), but then it stopped working, probably because I removed the beta version of 1P X.

Are beta versions of both the 1P X for Chrome extension and 1Password for Mac still required for Touch ID to be able to unlock 1P?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 1.17
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• @odysseus Yes they are both required.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

But why don't the standard versions of the Chrome extension and 1P support TouchID yet? Has a decision been made to keep TouchID support only in the beta?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@odysseus – We're still perfecting Desktop App Integration, so that's why it's currently only available in the beta versions. Once we've got it running as smoothly as we'd like, we plan on releasing it to the stable versions as well. I'm glad you're excited. :chuffed:

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Now it's one year later and the non-beta version of 1Password X still has no Touch ID support. This is a critical feature for me which still makes the regular browser extension worth using for me. When can we finally get Touch ID support on 1Password X so we don't need to retype our super secure 60 random special character master passwords each time we restart the browser?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@philmcole:

We don't have any timelines to share at the moment, but we hope to get this moved to the stable version as soon as possible. In the meantime, if it is something that you would really like to have, I recommend updating to the beta version, where this has been available for a while already, so you can start using the integration right away ;)

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks for the reply. I hope you understand that I don't feel comfortable switching the program that handles my most valuable and previous data to a beta version. I hope that in return you soon feel comfortable enough to release a one year long tested feature to your normal paying users.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@philmcole:

We certainly understand that, it's your prerogative to remain on the stable version. The beta version is definitely not mandatory.

• dsouzadrian
    dsouzadrian
    Community Member

Are there any plans to integrate windows hello with the 1Password X extension for Chrome / Edge (Chromium).

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@dsouzadrian – Thanks for your interest in using Windows Hello with 1Password X. It's not in our plans right now, but we're working on something we call Desktop App Integration, which allows 1Password X to communicate with the 1Password desktop apps. We're currently working on the macOS side of things, but we're hoping to move over to Windows next. One of our founders made a comment here that described our current state. If you're curious, I'd recommend reading that to get a better idea. :)

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member

More than one year later...

The non-beta version of 1Password X still has no Touch ID support.

This is a critical feature for those who currently need to retype their secure random special character master passwords each time they restart the browser.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@philmcole:

Indeed, the feature is still in the beta phase. You are welcome to upgrade to 1Password X beta and 1Password for Mac beta if you want to use it already though!

• annmarierose4
    annmarierose4
    Community Member

I had this issue at the beginning of May and now there was apparently another update and now my touch ID won't work in Chrome again. What can I do to fix this and make sure it doesn't keep getting messed up everytime there's an update?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@annmarierose4:

Considering that the feature is currently still in beta, there is a chance that some troubleshooting will be necessary (it wouldn't be a beta feature otherwise :) ). If you want to be 100% sure that there are no issues with it, you can revert to the stable version of 1Password for Mac and 1Password X, and wait until desktop app integration is released in the stable app and extension as well.

• annmarierose4
    annmarierose4
    Community Member

Yes! I want to revert to stable versions for both Chrome and Mac -- how do I do that?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@annmarierose4

Simply install the stable version of 1Password 7 from our website: https://1password.com/downloads/
    Then remove 1Password X beta from Chrome by right clicking its icon on the top right corner and selecting "Remove from Chrome", and install the stable version from here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

• annmarierose4
    annmarierose4
    Community Member

Hey there, so I tried installing both stable versions and touch ID is still not working in Chrome. What's my next step to fix this?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Sorry for the confusion there @annmarierose4 , support for Touch ID is only available in the beta version, not in the stable version.
    If you want to have Touch ID support, you'll have to install the beta versions back.

What ag_ana wrote you here is that because it is a beta feature, it might still have a bit of issues here and there, and that you can install the stable version instead and wait until this feature reach stable (but that means not having that feature at all until then).

I hope that clarifies things.

• annmarierose4
    annmarierose4
    Community Member

Ok I'm so confused. A couple months ago my browser made me install 1PX. So I did that and Touch ID quit working. Then they told me to install beta version of desktop app (for mac) and chrome extension. So I did. We eventually got Touch ID working that way and it's worked ever since. Then a couple days ago, it stopped working. I think after another update. So then I install stable versions of 1PX for Chrome and 1P7 for desktop and still doesn't work. I get what you're saying but now I really want to know the best next step to make sure Touch ID keeps working and I don't have to go through a whole ordeal every couple months to get it working again. What's my best next step to make that happen?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@annmarierose4:

I get what you're saying but now I really want to know the best next step to make sure Touch ID keeps working and I don't have to go through a whole ordeal every couple months to get it working again. What's my best next step to make that happen?

Unlocking 1Password X with Touch ID is currently a beta feature, so there is no way to make sure it keeps working like features in 1Password X stable (once again, it would not be a beta feature otherwise :) ). If this feature is important for you, you must use the beta, despite the issues. On the other hand however, you also said that you don't want to spend time troubleshooting things, which is perfectly understandable, but since this is a beta feature, troubleshooting will most certainly be necessary, and you cannot avoid this from happening every couple of months (or even more often).

So to summarize: you either keep the beta, and go through troubleshooting potentially at every update until the feature is released to the stable version of 1Password X, or you downgrade to the stable version of 1Password X, but losing the feature temporarily until it goes out of beta.

• annmarierose4
    annmarierose4
    Community Member

Ok how do I get the beta builds (for Browser and Mac Desktop) installed again?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@annmarierose4:

In 1Password for Mac, open 1Password and go to Preferences > Updates tab > enable the Include beta builds checkbox.

1Password X beta can be downloaded from here.

• lupandaniel
    lupandaniel
    Community Member

Hi, I'm also having a problem with 1 password x touch ID lately. I have beta versions(latest) installed but still nothing. The 'sync with desktop app' toggle has disappeared completely from the 1passwordx extension settings page :(. I tried resetting the extension from the desktop app, I tried every trick in the debug tool(Repair permissions, repair attributes, reset launch services...) but nothing works.

Anything else I can try?

• @lupandaniel

We've temporarily disabled Desktop App Integration while we work to rebuild and improve it moving forward. You can read more about this from our founder Dave in his post here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115228/temporarily-removing-desktop-app-integration/p1

This discussion has been closed.