1Password Extension Chrome - Stopped Working - Windows 10

Hi,

Hope you're all well reading this post.

I have been having difficulty using the 1Password chrome extension since the end of November. It simply now does not work. When you click the extension and press the "1Password extension (desktop app required) it takes you to the 1Password website.

Im using 1Password for windows 7.3.712, Windows 10 Pro Version 1903, Chrome Version 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit).

My colleague suffered the same problem and installed 1Password X as a work around, but I have a standalone vault as well as a Teams Account and quite like my current setup when it was working.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!

G.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 1903
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @insite ,
    We're here reading your post :)

Can you please tell me to which page on our website it takes you to?
    I'd also like you to try this:
    1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard, that should open the "Run" prompt.
    2. Write "1password.exe --setup" and click on "Run" or hit Enter.
    3. After a few moments, the 1Password desktop app should show up - unlock it.
    4. Open Chrome and see if the extension then works properly.

• insite
    insite
    Community Member

Hi @Yaron,

Many thanks for your reply.

Its quite quick but says agilebits.com/onepassword and then that goes to 1password.com.

Thanks for your suggestion, i have tried that but its still the same.

Any more thoughts?

Much appreciated for the help so far!

Cheers,

G.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the quick update @insite
    The next step would be to send us a diagnostics report from your computer so we can investigate your setup.

Please send us a diagnostics report to support+extensions@1password.com, here's how: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/
    In the email, please provide a link to this forum discussion so we can connect the dots :)

• insite
    insite
    Community Member

Thanks @Yaron, whats included in the report if you dont mind me asking? I'm hoping no 1Password content or personal information?

Thanks!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Great question @insite !
    The diagnostics report collects information about your operating system, browsers and 1Password setup. No personal information is being collected.
    You can learn more here: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics-privacy/

• insite
    insite
    Community Member

Hi @Yaron,

I was just about to send it but I had read somewhere about Malwarebytes. We have three different kinds installed and I had only tried one of them that i knew about. Its Malwarebytes Anti Ransomware thats blocking it!!! Works a treat when disabled, now just need to find what to exclude, would it just be 1Password main app??

Cheers,

G.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @insite ,
    I'm glad we found the culprit!

You'll want to exclude the 1Password app and its background process. You can open the task manager, find the 1Password process, then right click it and select "Open file location" so you can see where it is when you exclude it.

Let me know if that worked.

• insite
    insite
    Community Member

Hi @Yaron,

Thanks as always for your replies. I have done this one which comes up as per your instructions in task manager under background processes... C:\Users...\Local\1password\app\7\1Password.exe

But its still not working, is there another one I should be looking at?

Cheers!!

• insite
    insite
    Community Member

Just a quick update @Yaron, when it is disabled, it actually puts two processes into the task manger and when the protection is enabled there is only one process. But the file location is the same for which i have provided this as an exclusion but still not working when protection is enabled.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update @insite .
    You can try and excluding the entire C:\Users...\Local\1password\app\7\ folder and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, I'm sure our friends over at Malwarebytes will be happy to give you a precise answer on how to whitelist 1Password properly, they also have great support :)

• insite
    insite
    Community Member

Thanks @Yaron, i did try that and several more options Lol! I will message thema nd report back :)

Cheers,

• insite
    insite
    Community Member

Hi @Yaron, Looks like there is a new beta version released at the start of this month which address this: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/254739-ransomware-protection-interferes-with-roboform-extension/?tab=comments#comment-1354545

Will give it a try and let you know!

Thanks again,

G.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Oh, that's great to hear @insite :)
    Thanks for updating us! Hopefully other users will find this info useful as well.

Cheers!
    Yaron.

• insite
    insite
    Community Member

Hi @Yaron,

The link I posted above is for Malwarebytes 4, not the standalone Anti-Ransomware.

They are aware of the issue and have said a new release with this fix is scheduled for this month, January 2020. We shall wait and see.

Cheers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.