MacOS 1Password 7 beta and release are not recognizing master password changed on-line

Options
Danilushka
Danilushka
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Mac

I changed my password on-line and upgraded to the Family Plan.
Then installed the latest 1Password(7.4.2.BETA-2 (70402002)) on macOS Catalina (10.15.2 (19C57)).
Both Firefox and Chrome browser extensions and the website recognize the new password (it was changed on the website).
The macOS Desktop beta will not unlock and indicates the password is incorrect.
I regressed to the release version but the unlock refusal persists.
I restarted the system after each re-install/upgrade-to-beta.
It seems to not have synced the new master password. I have deleted the application and re-installed twice and also killed the background helper app each time. The problem persists.

My suspicion: it is a configuration issue with a persistent non-volatile master password setting (the password or a link that is now null) somewhere since I assume a new ("fresh") installation would create a link/config if it did not exist.
I have been away from 1Password for a couple of years (my account had been frozen until I upgraded to family) and I cannot remember if I used Dropbox or iCloud to synchronize for certain but I believe it was Dropbox at the time.
I do not see any evidence of synchronization plain or hidden ('.') files or directories in either sync directory (Dropbox or iCloud ).
I do recall an agilebits file in Dropbox at the time but I removed it 2018 as well as the then-current version of 1password at that time.
I found no configuration files in "~/Library/Application Support".
I found some com.agilebits.onepassword and com.agilebits.onepassword7 folders under "~/Library/Application Scripts" but they are empty.
Could that be an issue?

Any ideas where the non-volatile "old" password is persisting or where it is pointed to for new installs of the macOS desktop application?
Or I am diagnosing this incorrectly?

1Password Version: 7.4.2.BETA-2 (70402002)
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: 10.15.2 (19C57)
Sync Type: Unsure

Comments

• Hey there @Danilushka

Based on your description, it sounds to me like you're using 1Password X within Firefox and Google Chrome. That'd explain why you're able to unlock those separately, in addition to being able to log into 1Password in the web. Otherwise, the 1Password extension would be tied directly to 1Password for Mac. A reinstallation wouldn't do much to fix this up, since 1Password actually stores your data separate from the app bundle itself.

Even on the lock screen of 1Password for Mac, you should be able to head up to the menu bar at the top of your Mac and open up its Preferences. Once you do, are you seeing a Sync tab in there? If so, that might explain what's going on here. It'd indicate the presence of a standalone vault, unassociated with your account (which would make sense, given the length of time you've been using 1Password).

• Danilushka
    Danilushka
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thanks. Did not see a sync tab. I did manage to solve it by doing the following...
    1) Located my old password from 2 years ago (I yearly , or so, export my pw dbs as csv, tar.gz them, and encrypt with my GPG pubkey for safety). So I had an export from late 2018 with the old pw.
    2) De-authorized that system in my account on-line (did not affect the browser extensions or on-line acct).
    3) Logged in the Desktop App with the old password and watched 1P delete all the old data due to the de-authorization. Did it fast. Sweet. Good to know.
    4) Closed the app and re-started it and logged in with my email, secret key, and new pw: and watched it re-populate with the new data.
    Done. Easy-peasy.

• Glad to hear you got it working again, @Danilushka! Feel free to let us know if you see anything else weird in the future.

This discussion has been closed.