X and/or normal extension

Options

Should I have both the normal browser extension AND 1Password X installed or just one of them?

What's recommended?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @rctneil! Good question.

1Password X and the desktop-dependent 1Password extension aren’t meant to be used together. I’ll go over both of the extensions so you can decide which one you’d prefer.

1Password X is a full featured 1Password extension for Chrome and Firefox that can be used without a connection to the main 1Password app (but runs smoothly alongside it), and access to it comes with our 1Password.com accounts. It has a bunch of awesome features that the 1Password browser extension doesn't have, like your logins will be available directly within the web-page you are viewing. 1Password X will also receive new updates to saving and filling logic before the other apps. If that sounds good to you, I highly recommend giving 1Password X a shot.

The original 1Password browser extension, on the other hand, has no user interface and works solely off of the 1Password application. That means when you unlock the 1Password app, it also unlocks this extension. This one also uses the control-\ keyboard shortcut to fill Login items, but you won’t be able to see the Login inline like you would with 1Password X.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn Ok,

I pretty much knew the differences. It was more asking about whether it's recommended to use both at the same time? I have been doing that for a while and was pretty sure the answer would be "it's recommended not to". and Just needed some reassurance for that.

I've now only got 1Password X installed aswell as the desktop apps. As of yesterday I am. a part of another family account. They are both accessible in the desktop app but in 1Password X, I see a different set of items depending on whether I enter my first family master password or my second family master password. How can I see both sets of items just by entering either master password? like I can with the desktop application?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rctneil – I was only explaining both to help you determine which one you'd prefer to use since 1Password X and the desktop-dependent 1Password extension aren’t meant to be used together. I wouldn't recommend having both enabled at the same time.

To unlock multiple accounts at the same time on 1Password X, the accounts would need to share the same Master Password. I hope that helps!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn Please accept my apologies for my last message sounding very harsh/rude. I did not mean that at all. Thanks for your help.

When you say "the accounts would need to share the same Master Password", do you mean set both accounts to have identical master passwords or something else?

Thanks again,
    Neil

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rctneil – No worries. I don't think you came across harsh. I'm always happy to help. :)

Setting both accounts to have identical Master Passwords is exactly what I mean, yes.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn,

Right,

I'm a bit confused. Currently on my personal MacBook I have the desktop app installed and 1Password X in my browser. If I enable "Integrate with 1Password Desktop Application", I can authenticate with either the master password for family 1 OR the master password for family 2 and items from both sets of vaults show up.

If that option is disabled then, signing in with family 1 master password only shows that accounts vaults and signing in with family 2 master password only shows that accounts vaults.

I wish to keep separate master passwords for each account I have in each family but wish to be able to authenticate with either of the family accounts master password and see all vaults for all families.

Is this possible?

I will enable the "Integrate with 1Password Desktop Application" on this machine but I have another machine and I can only use 1Password X, therefore my question.

Thanks,
    Neil

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rctneil – 1Password for Mac, which is the app you use to unlock 1Password X with Desktop App Integration enabled, will behave differently than 1Password X when unlocking. You unlock 1Password for Mac with the Master Password of the account that was first added. With 1Password X, you unlock accounts separately based on their separate Master Passwords (if you set them up to be different).

I wish to keep separate master passwords for each account I have in each family but wish to be able to authenticate with either of the family accounts master password and see all vaults for all families.

That's possible. What you'd first do is type in either Master Password, then visit the 1Password X settings page by right clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and selecting Settings. If you scroll down, you can click on a link to the other account and type in your other Master Password. Once you do that, both accounts will be unlocked and items from both accounts will be included in All Vaults.

Let me know if you think of any other questions!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn Many thanks for that. That is exactly what I am after but it doesn't seem to work?

On the machine where I can only use 1Password X, I followed your directions, entered MP for F1 then went to Settings and added F2 by authorizing but when I open 1Password X, only vaults and items from F1 show up. F2 in Settings either shows up as "Locked" OR shows the family and all it's vaults but doesn't show up in 1Password X?

Screenshot attached of what I last described:

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rctneil – Based on your screenshot, items from both F1 and F2 should be appearing in 1Password X. When you open click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar to open the 1Password X pop-up and press Ctrl+D or Command-D on macOS, do you see all eight vaults (from the two accounts) listed? If so, what happens if you select a vault from the account that wasn't appearing?

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn I'm not currently on the machine that I was experiencing that. But on this machine, I entered the settings and disabled the Mac app integration to mimic the setup of the other machine and I see this:

So i'm signed in to the second family but it's locked and I'm unsure how to unlock it for use in 1Password X. I just want to be able to click the 1Password X icon, enter my MP for F1 and see and access all vaults and items for both families.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rctneil – That one looks right! Now, to unlock the Locked account, click the blue link (it's redacted, so I'm not sure what it says but it should be your account name), and type in your Master Password. That'll allow you to use both accounts in 1Password X (since they'll both be unlocked). Let me know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.