MacOS + Firefox Extension - Not offering option to save new logins

Options

Have recently switched over from LastPass - so am quite new to 1Password.

Currently used Firefox as the defualt browser, and it's not giving me a behaviour I'd expected in LastPass.

With LastPass when i'd login to a new account, it would recognize this, and present the option to save that login.

I presume 1Password can do the same (because it would be tiresome to have to manually add all the logins), but I'm not sure what the setting is to toggle this on.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: OS X 10.15.2 Catalina
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• @jpass1

I hope you don't mind; I noticed you were using 1Password X. I am going to move this over to its discussion area. They 1Password X folks can more appropriately assist with your questions.

• jpass1
    jpass1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks ag_tommy.

Any thoughts on how I can get this solved?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the wait, @jpass1! As Tommy mentioned, it looks like you're using 1Password X. To save a new item with that extension, you'll want to click the "Save in 1Password" option below a password field after inputting your current credentials. You should see it appear automatically as soon as you type inside the field. Here's a screen recording of me going through the process on Amazon's website as an example. Let me know if you have any questions after watching it!

• jpass1
    jpass1
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @kaitlyn - thanks for the reply!

Ok, think I see where my confusion is stemming. The default behaviour with LastPass is to auto-recognize logins - and then offer a dialog box to save them. I guess this isn't possible with 1Password X? So instead you need to save just prior to logging in (as with your Amazon example)?

What about then to update logins... again with LastPass it would auto-recognize a login, and then if the credentials used were different to what are stored, it would offer the option to update that password (and you just click "update").

With 1Password X, to update a password, would you do it the same way as saving a new password?

Btw - regarding 1Password vs 1Password X - the former is the desktop app, and the latter is the browser extension?

Thanks for your patience, am just adjusting to the new workflow/terminology. Getting there gradually!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jpass1 – That makes sense! 1Password X will operate a bit differently in that sense, but only when you're saving a Login that has an existing password rather than using a generated password. Let me lay it out for you because I could see that being pretty confusing:

I'll walk you through updating a password since that'll explain what I mean and answer your second question all at once. I'll try it out on GitHub since I've already got a test account set up there. Once I've made it to the password change page, I see something like this:

Now, to fill my Login item into the Old password field, I'll click on my GitHub Login item in the inline menu underneath the field. After that, my old password is filled and I move onto the next field. After placing focus inside the New Password field, I see something like this:

Clicking on the suggested password will result in both the New password and the Confirm new password fields filling with the random, unique password. In addition to that, you'll see a modal appear in the middle of your screen like this:

As you can see, it's defaulted to updating my existing Login, which I do want to do, so I'd just click the Update button. After that, I finish changing my password on GitHub by clicking the Update password button.

When you're registering for a new account, the workflow will be similar to the above. You'll click the suggested password underneath the password field when the site asks for it.

Btw - regarding 1Password vs 1Password X - the former is the desktop app, and the latter is the browser extension?

To answer this question, 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows are our desktop apps. We currently offer two different 1Password extensions, but our newest one is 1Password X and that's what I'd recommend. We also have the desktop-dependent 1Password extension, but for the majority, it's not as intuitive as 1Password X.

I don't mind walking you through this at all, so please do let me know if you have any follow up questions! I really am happy to teach you the ropes. It can be a lot to learn at first, so I'm glad you're taking the time to get it down early on. :)

• jpass1
    jpass1
    Community Member
    Options

Ah yeah! Ok, that's different.

Actually I don't think that method is as good as LastPass. But then it's swings and roundabouts - there are things 1Password does better too.

Anyway, I've moved over since LastPass parent company got bought out by private equity. That worries me. So 1Password it is 💪

Thanks for all your help while I'm learning and getting setup 🙏

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem at all, @jpass1! I'm here to help make the switch to 1Password go as smoothly as possible. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

This discussion has been closed.