Password Generator Inconsistency: How to Make Them Match?

Options
Dan_Aykroyd
Dan_Aykroyd
Community Member

Hi,

I'm starting to rebuild all the passwords for every account I (possible) can, so I set a default length, and chosen to use symbols and number in the password generator in the Mini window. But I have some sites that also require me to update the passwords saved in the webform fields, and I've noticed the password generator there has some different settings than the password generator in the "Mini" window (mainly, that I have to specify how many number and symbols I want in the former + it allows to avoid ambiguos characters).

Could you please let me know how to set up the password generator in the webform fields so it outputs passwords generated with the same "recipe" as the one that the Mini window puts out? I've noticed that in it, there's not a fixed amount of number and symbols; it varies every time, so couldn't found it myself.

By the way, why is there this inconsistency in both passwords generators? Shouldn't they both share the same settings; i.e., either add the amount of characters + ambiguos avoidance to the one in the Mini window or remove those options from the webform fields? Why the disparity there?

Mini Window

Webform Fields

Thanks in advance for your help.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@Dan_Aykroyd,

The discrepancy between the two generators is that we still have a bit more work to do, but ultimately the Webform Fields version of the generator is being retired and will soon be replaced by the one you have labeled as Mini window.

• Dan_Aykroyd
    Dan_Aykroyd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your promptly reply Rudy.

Would your recommendation then be to generate all the passwords with the one in the Mini Window, in order to use the same "recipe" with what you would be putting in place in the future?

Thanks.

• Dan_Aykroyd
    Dan_Aykroyd
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

In the meantime, just wanted to document another UI inconsistency in the Mini window password generator, so you can look at it while unifying them and keep improving on your already awesome interface.

In that window, I first get the "More Options" sections collapsed. If I press on the type of password I want to generate (let's say, characters) on the MacBook TouchBar button, the cell that was supposed to be hidden in that "More Options" sections, allowing me to select Symbols and Numbers, now appears at the bottom; all the while the section that is supposed to be hiding them is still closed.

When I expand the section, that cell remains there (as it should now) and, when I collapse it, it disappears again. If I touch the TouchBar button again, the same behavior repeats.

What I'm seeing here as the inconsistency is that, if the More Options section is collapsed, you are showing me extra options just because I touched the TouchBar button, while that section is collapsed. I don't think this is done on purpose, but rather, that those extra fields are "escaping" the section just because I triggered something on the TouchBar.

Here, some screenshots to (hopefully), make myself be understood a little better :):

First screen displaying as normal

After touching any TouchBar button, those extra options escape the section, while it's still closed

The section is now expanded; everything if fine

With the section collapsed, we got back to the first stage; before touching the TouchBar button

Hope this helps somebody!

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.