New login flow in 1Password X?

Hi. I have recently migrated from another password manager to 1Password X. I am really enjoying the experience overall, but have a question (or maybe a feature request) around the UX flow for adding a new login when signing into a site.

When I log into or create an account on a site that isn't currently in my 1Password Vault, I get the following prompt from the 1Password X extension (using Edge Chromium final on Windows in case it matters):

While this saves the password (and the current URL), it doesn't seem to save the username/email or provide any option to add it to the new entry. I then have to manually open the new entry and type/paste in the username.

Am I missing something? Seems like a pretty basic thing to need?

Thanks for any insight!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.17.0 (1PasswordX Chrome)
OS Version: Win 10 1910
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @millercentral! I'm happy to help. First off, I'm wondering which website you saved the item on. My guess would be our forum site, so I'll start there but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also curious what page you saved from that didn't contain your username. I would think that would only be possible on the password change page, but in that case, you should already have an item that you could update. Here's the flow to update an item (if 1Password X doesn't default to updating automatically), for example:

• Click Save in 1Password under a field or fill a suggested password. Modal appears:

• Click arrow next to Save New Login

• Select Update Saved Login

Based on your screenshot, I don't see that you have that option. Can you try to save another item and see if you notice the option in my screenshots in the modal that appears? Let me know what you find!

• millercentral
    millercentral
    Community Member

First of all, this is amazing support, thank you! You are correct, this screenshot was actually from the password change page as I couldn't remember my forum password when I wanted to post this question (and it wasn't in my vault).

Two questions from your response:

• in my scenario, where I followed an email link to a password change page for a site not in my vault, is there any way to associate my username with the "Save in 1Password" inline flow?

• In the example you showed, the default seems to be to create a new login entry, even if an entry for that site already exists. Is there any way to change this default to update the existing Login entry for that username if it already exists?

One other random question: Why save the full URI in the Login fields, rather than just the URL host name (aka "https://discussions.agilebits.com" instead of "https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/passwordreset/130965/..." - are there many examples of different logins needed for different pages within a site?

Again, thanks again for your help here! -james

• Thanks so much for the kind words and awesome questions, @millercentral!

The answer for the first two questions is the same: Totally! In fact, the expected behavior is for 1Password X to know which Login item you're changing your password for and to offer to update the correct Login item. The trick is to use 1Password X to autofill the "old (or current) password" field in the password change form first so it knows which Login item you're working with. The steps Kaitlyn suggested will back you up if there's a site that's not cooperating, but filling your Login item into the old password field should theoretically make it so you never need to follow those steps. If you come across a site that doesn't offer to update an item after you've filled your current password using 1Password, please let us know so we can try to fix it!

We save the full URL for a number of reasons, among them is to ensure the most accurate and secure filling experience possible. When you go to fill, 1Password performs a check first to make sure everything matches the website and form you saved your Login item in, so as not to accidentally fill in any spooky unauthorized hidden fields. Additionally, as you suggested, there are many sites that use one domain and several subdomains for different tools and they're all protected by their own login forms. If you were to save logins in 1Password for multiple subdomains on the same domain, all those Login items would be Suggested when you go to fill on one, but the login with the matching subdomain would be first on the list. :)

This discussion has been closed.