Password generator of limited use due to missing features. (other languages, up/ lower case, number)

The password generator in 1password is of limited use because I cannot create passwords that meet the password rules of the enterprise I'm working for. I need to change each single password manually to match. The password needs to contain

• a number
  • upper and low case characters
  • special characters (covered)

The second issue is that 1password is only supporting English words. For non-native language it's hard to remember words you never use or never heard of. I like learning new words but that's not helping to remember passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:password generation upper case

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @JochenRLP!

We currently do not have the option to customize the password generator rules at this level. We are always looking at ways to improve 1Password features however, so thank you for taking the time to share your use case with us. I will make sure to share it with the team.

With regards to your second request, I have already answered your other post here.

• Hi all,

I'd like to second the first aspect of this request - currently I'm generating a multi-word password then adding a capital and inserting a number between two of the words to create passwords that match Windows domain password restrictions.

The software engineer in me has visions of an advanced option that looks like a printf-style format string for requesting password generation :-)

e.g.

%w%Pw%3n%w

This would produce a password consisting of a dictionary word, a proper noun dictionary word, 3-digit number, then finally another dictionary word without any separators e.g. orangeCanada429penguin

I suspect the uptake on usage for this feature would be tiny, but I can dream :-)

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us as well @OctalOrangutan :+1::)

• I love this idea. When I do make words like this for passwords, I always copy and paste it in the note section and add this info to it.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@prime:

I always copy and paste it in the note section and add this info to it.

Do you mean the rules that you used to create this specific password?

• @ag_ana
    When generating the password it looks like this:
    leach-impulse-naples-trembly-celery
    I’ll copy it, put it into the notes, and change it to something like this:
    leach-impulse-NAPLES-1-trembly-celery+5
    Because most sites I need a password for will want a capital letter and numbers as well.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@prime:

Thank you for the confirmation. I do something similar, but I don't copy it in the secure notes, I make the changes directly in the password field :+1:

• @ag_ana l’ve done that a few times, but messed up the password :lol: I go into the note second of the login also (at the bottom where you can add notes for a login), since I don’t have to switch anything. If that makes sense

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

That can work too, yes :)

• It's a rare website these days that does not require a combination of lower and uppercase letters plus numbers. In addition, sites vary as to which symbols they will accept, if any. Even your own discussion forum registration says "Your password must be at least 6 characters long. For a stronger password, increase its length or combine upper and lowercase letters, digits, and symbols!"

I feel like I'm perpetually using the notes section to alter your generated password. That pretty much eliminates the convenience of having a password generated for me. I do not like the characters option because I need easily-typed passwords when I'm on an insecure network; e.g. when traveling.

The current 1Password word generator seems very outdated, creating extra work for users. I don't understand why it can't be programmed to generate passwords that the vast majority of websites demand these days.

• I'll just jump in and say the same. Almost no site allows you to create a password like the ones created by default with the "words" option in 1Password. I have to manually introduce capital letters and numbers to make the password compliant.

Word-based passwords have been widely acknowledged by security professionals to be better than random letter/number/symbol combinations. I implore 1Password to implement automatic number/capital entry into the "words" password option. The suggested passwords for iOS follow this convention, are built into the system and are therefore extremely convenient. A dedicated password manager should have at least this degree of functionality.

I really like 1Password. This is one of the only friction points for the experience for me.

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file