SplashID Import

andyh747
andyh747
Community Member

I'm sure this has been raised before but I've just used mrc-converter-suite to convert a SplashID vid database to 1Password format. However when I import there is a lot of data missing mostly down to custom fields I created in SplashID which hasn't come across in the import. In fact many records have data completely missing.
Can someone help get all my data from SplashID into 1Password?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: import

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@andyh747

No data should not be missing, but the data may be stored in Secure Notes, or in the Notes area of an entry. If you've customized your stock categories or fields in SplashID, then the converter cannot know about your customizations. The converter would therefore also have to be customized to know about your changes.

Did you run the converter with --verbose enabled? It will give you a summary of the number of total items and number of items per category.

I'm happy to help further.

• andyh747
    andyh747
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

Thanks for the reply.
    I've checked the Secure Notes and Notes area but the data isn't there. This must be due to the customisation I've used in SplashID. I have indeed customised my stock categories, fields and types throughout SplashID. I guess this makes conversion even more difficult!
    I didn't run with verbose enabled. My first conversion simply used the default conversion within the converter. I'm using a MacBook to run the converter, not sure that makes any difference.

I'd really appreciate any help to get the customised database imported.Imported

Edit: I ran it again with verbose enabled and this was the output.

781 items
    Exported 33 membership items
    Exported 30 email items
    Exported 289 login items
    Exported 400 note items
    Exported 29 bankacct items
    Exported 781 total items

My SplashID has 781 records total so the converter is finding them all but I need to customise the converter with my customised fields and categories.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2020

@andyh747

Let's work offline on the customization, and we can summarize your results when you are done. My email is at the top of the convert.pl script.

I see you are posting in the late hours from my time zone, so I'll presume you are not in North America,

SplashID places the "type" of entry into a particular cell position in its export. It is column 3 for "T" ("type") rows, and the data in subsequent rows uses the definition of that T row to describe the labels for the data that follows. The converter uses this label's exact text to determine the meaning of the subsequent field labels. When a "type" label doesn't match, the converter forces the entry to be a 1Password Secure Note, with field / value pairs in the Notes area.

So you need to identify for me the exact type labels, and the meaning and order of the fields in the customized cards.

To do this quickly, you can use the converter's debug mode and the terminal's grep command as follows:

$ perl convert.pl splashid -v -d pm_export.vid | grep 'Card type'
    do_import           : Card type '_New Type 1' is not a default type, and is being mapped to Secure Notes
    do_import           : Card type 'Unfiled' is not a default type, and is being mapped to Secure Notes
    do_import           : Card type 'Unfiled' is not a default type, and is being mapped to Secure Notes
    do_import           : Card type '_New Type 2' is not a default type, and is being mapped to Secure Notes

If you want to show only the unique ones, use sort also:

$ perl convert.pl splashid -v -d pm_export.vid | sort -u | grep 'Card type'
    do_import           : Card type '_New Type 1' is not a default type, and is being mapped to Secure Notes
    do_import           : Card type '_New Type 2' is not a default type, and is being mapped to Secure Notes

These are the customized types that you want to identify in SplashID. We need the exact type label, and the exact (case sensitive) labels plus their meanings (so that I can create a table entry that maps them into 1Password's stock fields, or custom fields).

Identifying these can also be done using the converter in debug mode, and by telling it to only consider userdefined import types. It will show each row as processed, and then show the field labels for those userdefined types:

perl convert.pl splashid --imp userdefined -v -d pm_export.vid

You can see that row 14 is a custom type, and the field labels are present in order.

Let's start here.

• andyh747
    andyh747
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply and apologies for delayed reply.

I've sent you a couple of emails.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@andyh747 and I worked offline.

In summary, the SplashID vault contained a number of highly customized types and fields, each entry being more like a collection of notes related to various things, and less functionally oriented than 1Password's working model.

The OP was going to clean up his records before moving forward. I suggested ways to move the data into customized 1Password Secure Notes.

• andyh747
    andyh747
    Community Member

Thanks Mr C for all the help. I’m working on clearing up the database and making it easier to export.

Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of MrC, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.