Extension button in Safari does nothing

karunamon
karunamon
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Mac

At some point in the last couple of weeks, the extension button in Safari has stopped working. That is, nothing happens when I click on it.

I have tried:

• Rebooting
  • Disabling/reenabling the extension
  • Uninstalling/Reinstalling 1password

Logins are still captured when I create new accounts or change passwords, but the ability to fill from the browser is non-functional. I have to hit the cmd-backslash hotkey and manually copy passwords.

I have a support zip generated immediately after the reinstall and re-enabling of the extension, just need to know where to send it :)

1Password Version: 7.4.1 (70401002) (non-appstore)
Extension Version: 7.4.1
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password Subscription

Comments

• @karunamon

Please send that report to support+forum@1Password.com

Include the following information with your submission.

1. Your user name here in the forums. karunamon
    2. A link to this topic. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/110887/extension-button-in-safari-does-nothing

We will take a look at it and get back to you as soon as possible.

• ktdch
    ktdch
    Community Member

I have the same problem, I am using safari 13.0.4 and my 1password is version 7.4.1

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2020

@ktdch

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report. Please use the following link to create that report for your device.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please send that report to support+forum@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

1. Your user name here in the forum. ktdch
    2. A link to this topic. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/110887/extension-button-in-safari-does-nothing

edit : I was able to locate an existing ticket in our system for you.

Please add the following code in the subject filed including the brackets [#FDC-61387-774] in that submission

ref: FDC-61387-774

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2020

@ktdch , @karunamon

I have been answering quite a few issues lately with users having CleanMyMac or MacKeeper installed. They often make changes within the application breaking its code signing. Would either of you happen to have one of those installed?

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

I also have this problem - but in my case I'm using the latest Safari Technology Preview, Catalina 10.15.3 and 1Password extension 7.4.1. Everything was working fine when I was using regular Safari, but when I tried to change over to STP I got this issue. I tried all the same things as the OP.

• @MickM

Under System Preferences > General > Default Web Browser. Do you have that set to STP? Try changing that setting to STP and see if your issue persists.

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

It's already set to STP - that was the only way I could get 1Password to install the extension into STP in the first place (required a restart but it did add it). The problem is that the box beside the extension remains unchecked and all attempts to check it are ignored.

• gabrielmldantas
    gabrielmldantas
    Community Member

I'm having this problem since I upgraded to 10.15.3. Each time I try to enable an extension (not only 1Password, all extensions), the following is logged on system logs:

With Safari 13.0.5 on High Sierra I can confirm everything works fine, so I guess this Catalina update broke something, since all the other extensions have the same problem.
    Safari was also logging something about my Mac not having biometry support. Don't know if that may be related.

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

I too see the same console message as gabrielmidantas when I try to enable the extension.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MickM, @gabrielmldantas:

Did this issue start for both of you right after updating to macOS 10.15.3?

• gabrielmldantas
    gabrielmldantas
    Community Member

@ag_ana yes, that’s correct.

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

Everything was working fine using 1Password in Safari after 10.15.3 - it was only afterward that I tried getting STP working with 1Password and had these issues. Even just getting the extension into STP in the first place was an awful user experience, aside from the fact that it can’t be enabled once it’s in there.

• gabrielmldantas
    gabrielmldantas
    Community Member

In my case I'm using a patched Catalina (my MacBook is from 2011), so I have SIP disabled. I decided to comment here because people with the same patched Catalina reported 1Password working fine and then I found this post with exactly the same problem I have but from users that I suppose are on supported hardware.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gabrielmldantas, @MickM:

Do you perhaps have security software installed on your devices? I was specifically thinking about this sentence earlier in this discussion:

Each time I try to enable an extension (not only 1Password, all extensions)

If this is happening with every extension, perhaps there is something else interfering here. For example, in 10.15.3 we heard several reports of users running SentinelOne, which caused 1Password to crash until the developers of SentinelOne issues an update. I wonder if this is something similar.

• gabrielmldantas
    gabrielmldantas
    Community Member

@ag_ana no, I don’t use any. I tried with a clean install too and the problem persists.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gabrielmldantas:

I would like to ask you to send us a diagnostics report from this Mac to support+forum@agilebits.com so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Could somebody at AgileBits please just confirm if this is an issue with 10.15.3 and STP by trying this - not asking to solve the problem, just to confirm it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MickM:

I have just tested this on macOS 10.15.3 and Safari Technology Preview Release 99 (Safari 13.2, WebKit 15610.1.1) for you. I had no issues enabling the extension in Safari Preferences, and the extension opens without problems for me:

• gabrielmldantas
    gabrielmldantas
    Community Member

@ag_ana I sent an email with “Extension can't be enabled on Safari” as subject and a link to your comment on the email body. I have not received the ticket number yet. Please disregard the first email I sent with the subject “Diagnostics report” because I’ve realized I should have Safari open.

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gabrielmldantas:

Thank you! I managed to locate your email in our systems. Someone will be with you via email as soon as possible :)

ref: RMD-92488-526

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Thanks for confirming. I guess this means there is something unique about my system :-/ Only because there's nothing to lose by asking - was there anything about you getting this up and running that gave you grief causing you to work around some issue?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MickM:

No, I managed to get this up and running without issues:

1. I downloaded Safari Technology Preview
    2. I enabled the Safari extension in Safari Technology Preview
    3. I set Safari Technology Preview as my default browser under macOS System Preferences

The extension now works for me without doing anything special.

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password and Safari? I wonder if starting fresh might help.

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Yay - I solved it! None of the advice above helped, including also logging off and restarting etc. I went on a long witch-hunt and eventually noticed that in the Safari preferences, under the Websites tab and then in the Content Blockers item in the sidebar, I saw that 1password.com was set to "On" i.e. content blockers were in force for 1password.com. I changed it to "Off" and with that I could now enable the 1Password extension in the Extensions tab. Note that you have to quit the broswer and start it up again for the extension to take.
    What a pain in the arse all that was...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I am glad to hear you found a solution @MickM. And thank you also for taking the time to share it!

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I also think I needed to enable bash to control the computer in the Security and Privacy system preferences (Privacy tab, and Accessibility selected in the sidebar)

• I do not have that enabled on either of my systems.

Ben

• TechnoMinds
    TechnoMinds
    Community Member

THANK YOU MickM.

That was the solution. I did not have to fiddle with bash. The content blocker setting was all it was.

• @TechnoMinds

Glad to hear the solution from MickM helped you out.

• bwcacanoe
    bwcacanoe
    Community Member

I'm still having this problem. I've tried re-starting, and the re-installing above. Latest version of 1password, safari, and Catalina. 1password extension shows up in safari preferences but you can't select it, both before and after re-install of program. The 1password extension in Firefox works, other extensions in Safari work....just not 1password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bwcacanoe:

Latest version of 1password, safari, and Catalina

Can you please confirm the exact versions? Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.