How does "Pin on Screen" work?

Options
jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

I'm just confused as to how this item is supposed to work. Please clarify.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: OS X 10.15.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jazzman!

If you pin an item on the screen, it will remain visible even when 1Password mini closes. It is useful when you want to reference something in 1Password without using the main 1Password app (for example longer secure notes, or any other data where you might want to copy and paste multiple fields).

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana!

Please tell me exactly how to pin an item on the screen. I have tried this, but nothing appears on the screen. Also, once you are through with the item, can you just trash it?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman:

You can click on the Pin on Screen button:

Also, once you are through with the item, can you just trash it?

If you think that you are never going to use it again (perhaps because you deleted that account), you can trash it.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana!

Thank you for your patience. I'm still not really sure what the purpose of "Pin on Screen" is. I'm trying to accomplish something very specific. Sometimes websites don't cooperate with 1Pass. Sometimes, when I change a password, the window that says "update existing" does not appear. Then I have to tell the website that I've lost my password and go through their process of getting a new one. So, whenever I change a password, I am scared that I will lose the new password generated by 1Pass before I even have the opportunity to update it. How can I save the new password generated by 1Pass right at that point....right after creating it? Will "Pin on Screen" do it, or do I just need to copy the new password another way? I might be making this too complicated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman:

Thank you for the clarification!

How can I save the new password generated by 1Pass right at that point....right after creating it?

You will not need Pin on Screen for this, so you can ignore that feature for now. Every time you use the password generator, you can save that password right away if you prefer, without using any tool other than 1Password:

So if you encounter a website that does not cooperate, you will still be able to find the generated password inside your 1Password app, in the Passwords category.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana!

Got it. By the way, how many characters do YOU normally use for a good password?

• Ben
    Options

20ish is quite solid. :)

Ben

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben!

Thanks much.

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.