Using Teams with clients v4.6 (Win) and v6 (MacOS)

hrr
hrr
Community Member

Hi there,
I use stand-alone licenses for Win v4.6 and macOs v6 (plus iOS and Android licenses) privately with Dropbox sync and am thinking about purchasing Teams subscriptions for my project team to be used with Dropbox sync.
Before I mess with a working system, I want to clarifiy a few things.
My understanding is that my stand-alone licenses are limited to the use of the specific client versions (ie Win v4.6 and macOs v6 respectively).
Therefore my questions:
1. Can I administer a Team from the Win v4.6 client or would that require an upgrade to a more recent 1Password client?
2. If it requires an upgrade, can I run the two clients in parallel, in order to keep the two uses seperate (I do NOT want to migrate my personal vault to Teams, if that can be avoided, as the team is limited in time and don't want the hassle of returning everything back to my standalone licenses, once the team disbands).
3. What issues am I to expect with running two clients in parallel (if at all possible) relating to browser extensions etc?
4. If above is not possible and I have to uninstall my stand-alone clients / upgrade to a client version, for which I don't have a license, what would I need to do to and keep in mind (lack of forward compatibility of vaults?) to re-install the stand-alone clients (are the installers still available and if so where?) and re-associate my personal vault to them, once the team has disbanded and I no longer have a Teams subscription?
5. Last but not least: What is your current time-frame for continued support of stand-alone licences and clients?

BTW: I searched the knowledge base and found https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/65489/teams-1password-4-and-syncing-using-dropbox-can-we-start-using-teams , but wan't sure if I fully understood the specifics of in how far the statement "But if you change jobs often, or just want some extra piece of mind, you can continue to use vaults that aren't connected to your Team account in any way" means that I can continue using Win v4.6 and if the advice was still current (it being over 3 years old).

I hope the explanation of my requirements makes sense and would be grateful if you could suggested a way forward, if I were to buy team subscriptions.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win 10 1809
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:using teams with v4.6

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hrr!

My understanding is that my stand-alone licenses are limited to the use of the specific client versions (ie Win v4.6 and macOs v6 respectively).

That's correct.

1. Can I administer a Team from the Win v4.6 client or would that require an upgrade to a more recent 1Password client?

1Password for Windows 4.6 does not support 1Password Membership accounts, so you will need 1Password 7 for that.

1. If it requires an upgrade, can I run the two clients in parallel, in order to keep the two uses seperate (I do NOT want to migrate my personal vault to Teams, if that can be avoided, as the team is limited in time and don't want the hassle of returning everything back to my standalone licenses, once the team disbands).

Yes, but I recommend using only 1Password 7 instead of two apps. 1Password 7 supports local vaults in addition to Membership vaults, so you could keep using your standalone vault if you wish, without having to use two apps.

1. What issues am I to expect with running two clients in parallel (if at all possible) relating to browser extensions etc?

The browser extension would likely have issues, since it can only connect to one app at the time.

1. If above is not possible and I have to uninstall my stand-alone clients / upgrade to a client version, for which I don't have a license, what would I need to do to and keep in mind (lack of forward compatibility of vaults?) to re-install the stand-alone clients (are the installers still available and if so where?) and re-associate my personal vault to them, once the team has disbanded and I no longer have a Teams subscription?

Legacy downloads are available at the bottom of our downloads page.

1. Last but not least: What is your current time-frame for continued support of stand-alone licences and clients?

1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for Mac are not receiving updates anymore. The last update for 1Password 4 for Windows was almost 3 years ago, and the latest update for 1Password 6 for Mac was almost 2 years ago now. You are free to continue using older versions of 1Password as long as you like, or as long as they keep working with operating system upgrades, but all development effort has moved to the latest 1Password 7 apps.

BTW: I searched the knowledge base and found https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/65489/teams-1password-4-and-syncing-using-dropbox-can-we-start-using-teams , but wan't sure if I fully understood the specifics of in how far the statement "But if you change jobs often, or just want some extra piece of mind, you can continue to use vaults that aren't connected to your Team account in any way" means that I can continue using Win v4.6 and if the advice was still current (it being over 3 years old).

As I wrote above, I recommend upgrading to 1Password 7 and using local vaults there (in addition to your Teams Membership), instead of using two apps, one of which is very old now. 1Password 7 supports both standalone vaults and and Memberships, so the best option would be using the latest version.

• hrr
    hrr
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana , thank you very much for your extensive response. That is very helpful and clear. I have one last point for clarification:

If I use my personal vault with 1password 7, can I return to using it with 1password 4.6 later on, or is the format of the vault changed in any way that might prevent it from being loaded into 4.6?

Thanks again for your help,

hrr

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hrr:

I am not 100% sure about that, because I have never tried using a recent version of a vault with such an old version of the app. I don't think this is something that we have even tested, since usually you move forward with app versions, rather than backwards.

This discussion has been closed.