1password X: beta Opening to new window opens to a new tab instead of stand-alone mini window

Hi,

This is somewhat frustrating, since I mainly use 1password X and use the mini a lot to login in various stuff outside of the browser. Before I get a new mini window that contains 1password X, now it just opens a new tab and just directs me to the web version of 1password?

You can check a video here.

1Password Version: 1.18.6
Extension Version: 1.18.6
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@chrisss – Thanks for reaching out! The pop out button you're referring to did used to open 1Password X in a separate window. However, it wouldn't open up to the correct item. After enough requests, we decided to return to the previous behavior that opened a new tab of the 1Password web app. Could you let me know where you found yourself needing a separate 1Password X window? I'd love to hear more about your use case so I can pass your feedback along.

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member

Hi, @kaitlyn thanks for the reply. I mainly use the popup window using it as credentials for external apps, on my cli and my other windows. While I know the existence of a 1password mini. The Windows version is not as usable as the mac version. It's very slow, UI is not as polished as compared macOS.

Also, this actually breaks my workflow, any chance I can install a previous version of 1password X that has this enabled? I hope you can just make a toggle for the behavior because I have never used 1password X for editing values. The webapp is very slow and buggy. That's why that toggle window for me is best to serve as a mini window like 1password mini.

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

@kaitlyn "However, it wouldn't open up to the correct item." Reading your reply again, I think you are confused, I'm talking about this

If you click on that button, it detaches 1password X and operates like 1password mini floating as a stand-alone window. That's what happens on 1.17, now it just opens a new tab in 1.18.

If you click on Edit it opens a new tab. With 1.18 change, you just duplicated the Edit button and removed the old functionality. That doesn't sound like an improvement for me at all. It sounds more like a regression.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@chrisss – Thanks for clarifying that for me. I do understand what you're saying, but I misunderstood our developers' intentions. It turns out that the change was unintentional. We've got an open issue for it right now. :)

To clarify what I mean by "However, it wouldn't open up to the correct item," when you click the open in new window button, the pop-up isn't opened to the item that you had selected. Although, I still see where the feature would come in handy when filling outside of your browser. That's not something I do on a day-to-day basis, so I really appreciate you sharing your use case so I could understand it better.

ref: dev/core/core#1046

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member

@kaitlyn, till you fix your Windows version and modernize it to make it feel and look as good as your Mac version. This is a major deal-breaker for me. It's the only way I can stand using 1password in Windows, and for Linux too.

I hope you spend more development time on your Windows platform, granted that its 77% share of the market (globally), especially now you have a $200M funding. You can make your current Windows version as maintenance mode and modernize your codebase now that Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 last month.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@chrisss:

till you fix your Windows version and modernize it to make it feel and look as good as your Mac version.

We have just released a major update to 1Password for Windows. If you would like to try it already, I encourage you to try the beta and see how you like it :)

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member

hey @ag_ana perhaps you gave me the wrong link? I click on the link, and all I see are bugfixes, what do you mean major? Also in terms of versioning, a major version should be v8 no?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@chrisss:

The link I shared with you is the right one, but thank you for checking! If you want to see all the other updates in the previous two beta versions, please click on the Find all of the changelogs of the last three beta updates here., which you can see at the bottom of the screenshot you posted.

If you look at the improvements in the previous two beta versions, you will see what I mean by major ;)

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

@ag_ana, it's still unusable for me, sorry, it feels and looks ancient to me. It feels like it was designed for Vista days, I tried installing the beta, but it's still a hard pass for me. I don't think your Windows version is worthy of AgileBits that I know. Long time Mac User switched to Windows. Anyone can tell you haven't put much effort into your Windows version compared to Mac, granted that you started with Mac first. But that was years ago. Why are we still stuck with a win32 app? It really feels like an abandoned project. Sorry.

• I'm sorry we've made you feel that way @chrisss. Thank you for the feedback.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.