Can't change master password

Options
kbabij
kbabij
Community Member
edited February 2020 in Mac

Hi there,
I need to change my secret key in my machine (the one that's in there is incorrect), but when I go into preferences > account, everything is greyed out so there's nothing whatsoever I can do. I can't login... and I can't change it. I've uninstalled the program multiple times but every time I re-download it and install it again (restarting, emptying trash, etc.), the old account with the wrong secret key is in there, everything is greyed, and I'm stuck. I can't add a new account, I can't do anything.

Thanks,
kim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kbabij! Welcome to the forum!

but when I go into preferences > account, everything is greyed out so there's nothing whatsoever I can do

Please unlock the 1Password app by entering your Master Password first. Without unlocking the app, the Preferences will be greyed out.

• kbabij
    kbabij
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_ana ! That's the problem -- I can't do that. When we first installed this program on my computer, the person who helped with the install mixed up "secret key" and "master password" and I don't have the master PW that is attached to the old secret key. That is what is in the app. So this is what I'm asking: how do I remove that account?? Because I can't see a way to do it, and even uninstalling the software and reinstalling, doesn't help. That old account is stuck in there with an invalid secret key.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kbabij:

Thank you for clarifying that you are not able to unlock the app. In this case, you can start over with an empty app and add your account to it once again.

• kbabij
    kbabij
    Community Member
    Options

THAT'S IT!!!! IT WORKED!!!! yay, @ag_ana , you're my hero today!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @kbabij! I am glad that I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.