Importing a 1Password4 backup into 1Password7

I have been using 1Password 4 for years. In November 2019 I purchased a 1Password one year single computer licence and I am finally getting round to joining the modern day and upgrading to 1Password7.

At first the installer wouldn't run on my computer but I found a clever workaround on here (renaming the data folder as data-backup) and 1Password7 is now up and running.

But... I've now discovered that 1Password have been holding onto my pre-2017 data, which I find weird as that is the only data showing in 1Password7.

I have uninstalled 1Password4.

In My Documents folder I have a folder titled 1Password. That folder contains 1Password.agilekeychain and a folder called Backups, which contains OPVAULT_ZIP Files.

How can I get my current data into 1Password7?

Many thanks in advance. :)

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Version 1909
Sync Type: Computer only

Comments

• Hi @tango444 😃

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you're having getting upgraded to a modern version of 1Password. Did you have 1Password 4 for Windows set up to sync anywhere (e.g. Dropbox)?

Please let me know. We can troubleshoot further from there.

• tango444
    tango444
    Community Member

Hello Blake, many thanks for your swift reply.

Yes, I used Dropbox for a long time to sync my data. However, for the last six months I have backed up the data onto my desktop PC.

• tango444
    tango444
    Community Member

I have 1Password installed on my iPhone, with my latest data. Can I sync 1Password 7 via WLAN Sync and get the data off my iPhone?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @tango444,

There is no way to restore your old 1Password 4 backup files in 1Password 7, but if you set up 1Password 7 for Windows with 1Password account, you can import your old local vault into your 1Password account now. Here is how:

1) Open and unlock 1Password 7 app on your PC.
    2) Go to 1Password > Import.
    3) Select Agile Keychain or OPVault folder option and find your .agilekeychain folder in your Dropbox.
    4) Enter the Master Password for that vault, select your Personal vault as the vault your data will be imported into and click Import.

However, if your .agilekeychain folder in Dropbox is not the latest version of your vault, you can install 1Password 4 from here, restore your backup there, save it as a new local vault, and then follow the steps above to import this new vault into 1Password 7 and your account.

Let us know how it goes. If you have any questions about the process above, we are here to help. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• tango444
    tango444
    Community Member

Another great reply. Many thanks.

I tried option 1, use 1Password 7 to import the Agile Keychain/OPVault folder. I select the agilekeychain folder. I entered the password and I selected Import. (The Personal vault was the only option). But it bounces back a red message saying, "Incorrect password, please try again". However, I know for certain that the password is correct.

So...

I tried option 2. I reinstalled 1Password 4, restore the same backup that I was accessing in option 1 (and using the same password). All imported correctly (the latest entry was two days ago, which is correct). I then set up a new local vault in a new place and ran option 1 again, using that new vault, with a password that I have just created. However, Option 1 again told me that I was using the incorrect password.

Why won't 1Password 7 recognise my vault password?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tango444,

Not sure what is happening there. Did you use the same Master Password for your new local vault in 1Password 4? If you did, it should work without any hiccups.

You can also try to export your data from 1Password 4 to .1PIF and then import it to 1Password 7. Does it work for you this way? Please be careful with this option, because the exported 1PIF file will not be encrypted.

Let me know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• tango444
    tango444
    Community Member

I was definitely using the same Master Password. I then tried using a much simpler password. Still didn't work.

The .1PIF route worked; thank you. Unfortunately, it has led to 300 duplicated entries. I'll deal with those over the next week.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@tango444: Sorry about the duplicates!

If you have access to 1Password for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac has a built-in tool that might be handy. If you have duplicates in your 1Password vault, go to 1Password 7 > Help > Tools > Clean up duplicate items. Don't forget to switch to a vault in question before using it, though.

Such tool is not available in 1Password 7 for Windows yet, but you can use Watchtower to find duplicate passwords there.

Let me know if you have any other questions, we are always ready to help you with everything. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.