Syncing confusion

rimfire
rimfire
Community Member
edited February 2020 in Mac

I don't have the online subscription service I have the database 1password. I want to sync my iphone vault to my mac vault. I want to do that using the LAN syncing. How do I know if this will copy everything from the iphone to the mac or will it delete what is on my iphone if its not in the vault on my Mac? I recently deleted tons of duplicates and old passwords on my Mac vault and there are about 1000 more passwords on my iphone and I don't want to lose them if I sync the vaults. Sorry, I struggle understanding how 1password works sometimes. TIA

1Password Version: 7.4.1 mac, 7.4.4 iphone
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.15.2
Sync Type: LAN prev dropbox

Comments

• rimfire
    rimfire
    Community Member

I don't have the online subscription service I have the database 1password. I want to sync my iphone vault to my mac vault. I want to do that using the LAN syncing. How do I know if this will copy everything from the iphone to the mac or will it delete what is on my iphone if its not in the vault on my Mac? I recently deleted tons of duplicates and old passwords on my Mac vault and there are about 1000 more passwords on my iphone and I don't want to lose them if I sync the vaults. Sorry, I struggle understanding how 1password works sometimes. TIA

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rimfire - you can find instructions for using 1Password for Mac’s WLAN Server here. If you've had two different sets of data on your iPhone and your Mac, however, what you'll get when you sync is a combination of both sets of data, which may include duplicates if you had some of the same items recorded in both places. 1Password is VERY conservative when it comes to merging duplicates; unless items are an exact match including the UUID number, they will not be synced; you'll get both copies. That's to avoid exactly the worry you had: arbitrary removal of data you wanted to keep. You may be left with a significant editing/purge job when you're done, but you shouldn't have any incorrectly-deleted data.

However, to make absolutely sure you don't lose any data (and allow you a do-over if necessary), do this prior to syncing the two vaults:

1. On your Mac, click 1Password > Preferences > Backups and then click "Backup Now."
    2. On your iPhone, tap Settings > Advanced > Create Backup
    3. Connect your iOS device to your computer using the USB cable that came with your device.
    4. In a Finder window, click your device in the sidebar. (you may be required to Trust this Computer if you haven't connected this device via cable previously).
    5. Click the Files tab, then click the disclosure triangle next to 1Password.
    6. Drag the Backups folder to your Desktop or other folder on your Mac.

Then go ahead and proceed with your sync, and if things go wrong, you can use these instructions to restore your backups. Let us know how you get on! :)

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member

Similar licensed version concern here. I sync my iPad to my Macs very infrequently. I am careful to keep all of my Macs in sync with each other, and I don't want to risk screwing them up by syncing one of them with my iPad, which has not been synced for a long time and has many outdated or now deleted login items.

Is there any easy way to simply delete the vault on my iPad before I sync to one of my computers, so the sync result will say it found no vault or an empty vault on the iPad and therefor simply copied everything from my Mac to my iPad?

Of course, I do not to want it to say it found an empty vault on the iPad so it erased everything on my Mac!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @VT1P! Absolutely -- you can tap Settings > Advanced > Erase all 1Password Data, which will do exactly that, then quit 1Password. The next time you open the app, it will be as if you're a brand-new user. Just use whichever sync method you've been using to fetch the data. Alternatively, you can delete the 1Password app entirely if that's easier, then re-download from the App Store and follow the same procedure.

• rimfire
    rimfire
    Community Member

Thank you, Lars! IT worked. I do have a lot of dups. I will look on the interweb and see if there is a way for 1password to delete them. Thank you again. I will sync my devices frequently now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rimfire - glad I was able to assist! :)

This discussion has been closed.