Changing passwords for GMAIL accounts

After going from no password manager to having almost all our logins "registered" with 1P in 30 days I am now going in and making better the passwords for some gmail accounts (accounts that have logins saved in 1P but with the original passwords).

But to be honest, for other established logins it has been hit and miss for me that 1PX seamlessly saves the logins correctly the first time with a new and better password as described in the video "Change your passwords and make them stronger...." ie https://youtu.be/RtCQnRlq_dU

Can the change of password in a Gmail account be done in 1P X as shown in the video? I ask as if it doesn't work perfectly it is problematic validating a GMAIL account when passwords are "changing".

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: X 1.17
OS Version: WINDOWS 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmjm! 👋

The video you mentioned refers to the desktop-dependent 1Password extension rather than 1Password X. The behavior of 1Password X will be a bit different, so let me explain. Just for future reference, here's the article that describes 1Password X rather than the other extension we offer.

With 1Password X, you should see a suggested password underneath new password fields. If you click it, the suggested password should fill into the new password field and show a prompt asking if you'd like to update your existing Login item. Does that sound similar to what you're seeing as you go through and update your passwords? Of course, each site will be slightly different, but that should be the gist. Let me know if you're still having trouble, and I'd be happy to walk you through it.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

I am sure I can do it as I have updating other logins using 1P but there is just a bit more at stake when it is establishing a new pw for a gmail account.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm – I want to make sure you know that updating a password in 1Password isn't something that's set in stone. 1Password saves all of your previous passwords as well, so it's fairly simple to find a previous password in 1Password if something goes wrong during the password change process on a website. To view previous passwords for an item, take a look at the item either in the 1Password web app or one of the 1Password desktop apps. Here's an example of an item in the 1Password web app with previous passwords:

That feature along with item history (where you can view and restore previous versions of items) is what you can rely on if anything goes wrong when changing a password on a website.

I hope that reassures you a bit. Again, I'm here if you have any other questions. :)

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Yup. I have seen and used such info. (Before investing time and money into this or any PWM I made sure that pw history was able to be seen).

(Thanks @kaitlyn et al; I am sure I am not the "easiest" client)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm – Awesome! I'm glad you did your research. I can definitely relate. :)

I truly am delighted to help no matter what, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

I'm glad you did your research.

(I just know that if one needs to "recover" one's Gmail account, one strand of "proof of ownership" are prior passwords used in the account sign in).

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm – That's good to know. I haven't needed to do that myself, but I'm glad it's an option.

This discussion has been closed.