1Password X Suggesting Weaker Passwords

When creating a new account or changing a password, 1Password X suggests a password that is weaker than the generator usually gives. Picture below details a suggestion that is only 13 characters long.

How can I make the suggested passwords more complex or longer by default?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.6
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password X Weak Suggestion

Comments

• kaitlynkaitlyn

Team Member

Hey there @voxelsprite!

Thanks for bringing up this change. We were occasionally coming across websites that didn't allow the previous 20 character suggested password. Your screenshot is a great example – you're asked to enter a password between 8 and 16 characters. Previously, the suggested password was 20 characters, which would have been rejected by the site in your screenshot. We altered the recipe to give you a strong, unique password that fits a larger majority of password restrictions. That said, you always have the option of generating a password with custom rules in the 1Password X pop-up. You can do that by clicking the 1Password icon on your browser toolbar, then click the + button, then click Password Generator.

I hope that clears things up, and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

• Commenting to share I had the same problem.

That said, you always have the option of generating a password with custom rules in the 1Password X pop-up. You can do that by clicking the 1Password icon on your browser toolbar, then click the + button, then click Password Generator.

This helped so much. I'm not sure why, but I forget I can click the icon in the toolbar.

I would vote for the ability for me to decide what my default password generation rules are for the browser extension. I would rather the default be what my preferences are and adjust down for the site instead of starting with something less and then adjusting up when possible.

• kaitlynkaitlyn

Team Member

@charlieholder – I'm glad to hear that helped you out! I'll pass your feedback along in regards to making the inline suggested password customizable.

ref: dev/core/core#352

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file