Can I use a local vault and disable synchronization with 1password?

Options
tjzcos
tjzcos
Community Member

I would like to use 1password on a system with locally stored passwords only. Is there a way to disable synchronization of vaults associated with my 1password account?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Can I use a local vault and disable synchronization with 1password?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @tjzcos! The short answer is no. This is because the local app, 1Password 7 for Mac, requires either a standalone license or an active, signed-in 1password.com account in order to be authorized (paid for). You can certainly activate local vaults (in 1Password > Preferences > Advanced, check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts"), but you can't sign out of your 1password.com account in 1Password 7 for Mac or the local app will be read-only (unless you purchase a standalone license).

You can simply try remembering to leave your 1password.com account vaults empty (choose a different vault for saving, remove the account's vaults from the All Vaults view), but you can't remove them entirely. Frankly, if you're interested in using 1Password in standalone mode, I'd strongly suggest a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac -- that's literally what it's for.

This discussion has been closed.