Primary/Personal Vaults

PalPal
PalPal
Community Member

Hello friends,

So I have this situation. It seems I have two vaults. One is called Personal the other is Primary. I’m pretty sure one must be a legacy from before getting the subscription. So initially one of the vault must have been a copy of the other.

On my iPhone it seems I only have the “Personal” one included in "All Vaults” but, somehow, the “Primary” vault is the one set up for saving.

Consequently for a while I did not understand where my newly created password where going as they where saved in Primary but not shown in All Vaults.

Furthermore the Primary Vault is shown “on iCloud”. Note On my mac I only see the Personal vault not the Primary.

So now I have realised all of this I have two vaults which are not in sync. What I was doing on iPhone went to Primary but what I was doing on Mac went to Personal.

So my idea is to:

Align the two vaults (somehow)
Delete one ( but which one)

I could do with some advices on the above steps or if I should do something else.

Thank you very much

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• williamkish2
    williamkish2
    Community Member

I have a very similar problem. I am using Ver 7.4.2 on my Mac with Catalina. On my Mac the Personal vault is on Dropbox using agilekey t and so must be the Personal vaults on my iPhone and iPad. Also on my Mac I have a Primary vault and a PrimaryOPVault. The Primary vault appears to be obsolete and I will delete. Updates on the Mac are going to PrimaryOPVault and on the devices to the Personal vault. I have exported the vaults to Excel where I am marking the records I want to delete, keeping the newest entry on one or the other spreadsheet. Then I will go to the vaults and delete the older entries in each vault. Finally, I will Import the PrimaryOPVault into the Personal vault on my Mac and the Personal vaults on the devices should update. Then I delete PrimaryOPVault.

This means I will still be using DropBox. Is there a better option?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PalPal:

I’m pretty sure one must be a legacy from before getting the subscription.

The old one is the Primary vault. Indeed, when you switch to a 1Password subscription, we recommend deleting this old vault to avoid exactly this kind of problem, so that is the one you should delete.

Before you do that however: if you have been saving items inside your old Primary vault by mistake, you will need to move those items to your Personal vault (on the Mac, perhaps sorting your items by Date Modified will help you) so you have everything inside your Personal vault.

Once you have everything moved over, you can remove the Primary vault from your devices

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@williamkish2:

On my Mac the Personal vault is on Dropbox using agilekey t and so must be the Personal vaults on my iPhone and iPad.

The Personal vault is stored on 1Password.com, and it cannot be stored outside of 1Password.com, so it cannot be in Dropbox. If you have a 1Password Membership, you should not be using Dropbox to sync anymore, since data is synced automatically through 1Password.com.

• PalPal
    PalPal
    Community Member

Hello again! Thank you for the info. I'll try to do that. Thanks again!

• kiwibloke
    kiwibloke
    Community Member

I think I have the same thing going, but how do you delete a vault, I don't get any option to delete, just "edit vault' or 'manage access'

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PalPal:

You are welcome! Let us know if you need anything else :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kiwibloke:

I posted a link to the instructions in my post above, but here it is again for your convenience:

Once you have everything moved over, you can remove the Primary vault from your devices

When you try to delete the Primary vault, you will not see 'manage access' anywhere. That option will appear only if you try to delete the Personal vault instead, so you are trying to delete the wrong vault.

• pwraja
    pwraja
    Community Member

Am trying to move all files from Primary to Personal on my Mac, as you suggest, but get the following message: "Migration receipts cannot be moved to other vaults. Do you want to proceed anyway, skipping the migration receipt items?" Please advise, thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pwraja:

This suggests that you have performed a migration once already. Please see this post from my colleague Ben with a suggestion on how to proceed.

This discussion has been closed.