Groups vs Vaults

Options

Hey all,

I'm rolling out 1password at my small business (~15 employees) and am curious in how others recommend we use Groups vs. Vaults. We're a small company, so dividing things by "department" isn't tremendously helpful — we all wear a bunch of hats. Even still, why would I ever use groups? Wouldn't it be more straightforward to just make a vault for each department?

Here's our current setup:

Vaults: 3

• Admin (for passwords linked to our admin email address)
  • Shared (for passwords linked to an individual's email address that is useful to have shared)
  • Private (for personal passwords)

I'm inclined to keep this setup even as we scale to 30+ employees. Am I missing something here by not using groups or vaults more robustly? The only non-redundant setup I can imagine is that vaults are organized by the site's function (banking, marketing, etc.) and vaults are for departments. This seems needlessly complicated, however, and we'd also lose the utility of our shared vault. Am I missing something?

Sorry if this has been asked before and appreciate the help!

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Treesgoblue

I don't think you're missing anything. :) Groups are just another tool in the toolbox. It may not be one that makes sense for your organization to use. I think at the 30 employee ballpark most organizations have more than three distinct sets of data that they want separation for, but that might not be the case for your team. If 3 vaults is all you envision needing then yeah — you probably don't need groups. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.