Master Password Prompt and stuck Favicons on Chrome Extension

gross
gross
Community Member

Today, when trying to save a new password from Chrome while my 1P was locked, I got the usual "Unlock 1Password to save this login" window which has the 1Password logo on the left, and a very small version of the favicon of the site you're on.

However, and I managed to repeat this - the favicon is one of a random login I used and modified yesterday, it is not the favicon of the site I am on.

I don't know if that is a known bug or not, but it was a bit weird/unnerving until I remembered going there yesterday, so I am half posting this to know if this is a known issue and if not how I can help, and half so other people Googling this will find this post and know it's happened to other people.

Example image: Imagine you went to the Gentoo forums yesterday, and today you tried to save the password from your bank, Bank of America, and that is the prompt you got:

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Wi-Fi

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gross!

As a first attempt, can you please make sure you update to the latest version of 1Password (7.4.2)? You might need to perform a manual update this time since we had an issue with the automatic update in a previous version, which is now fixed.

• cjke
    cjke
    Community Member

I'm on 7.4.3 and can see this exact behavior. I've recorded a video replicating the issue but I don't want to post it on a public forum (the video contains my unlocked vault), can I send it directly to a member of the 1password team?

The issue is of particular concern as it even picks up the favicon of sites while you are in private browsing mode, for sites not even in 1password. For example, I might checkout "clientsfromhell.net" in private browsing mode, then a few hours later, I need to give a screenshare presentation to my clients, 1password popups with a little favicon of the "clientsfromhell.net" site - whoops!

• @cjke

Hmm. I'm showing that we thought we had this fixed in v7.4.3, but perhaps the fix we put in place didn't really fix it. Could you please send the video to support+forum@1password.com? When you email in you'll get an automated reply from BitBot with a support ID. Please post that ID here.

Thank you!

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#3842

• cjke
    cjke
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben - email sent about 30mins ago. I will update once I get the support ID back (hasn't come through, I've checked spam)

• cjke
    cjke
    Community Member

The BitBot didn't end up responding (bad BitBot) - can you confirm you received the email?
    Subject of email was "https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/549159#Comment_549159"

• Hi @cjke

It looks like we did receive your email, but not the video. My colleague Courtney replied to you approximately 2 hrs ago. Is there perhaps someplace you could upload the video (e.g. YouTube)? It looks like the problem is that the video is too large to email.

I'm also looking into why BitBot failed us on this one. Thanks.

Ben

• cjke
    cjke
    Community Member

Hi @Ben
    I assume the BitBot failed because your email service rejected the email due to size limitations.
    I won't be posting to YouTube, as mentioned above, the video contains an unlocked vault which I'd prefer is only seen by 1password staff (same reason I'm not posting here).

I've compressed and converted the video and resent it with some dot points of what is happening. The subject of the email is https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/549159

BitBot replied with [#XGG-28178-271]

If that fails to reach your end I'm not sure what else I can say, I don't have ample time to help you replicate a bug, I feel like I've made the appropriate effort to get the video and replicable steps across to you.

• Thanks @cjke. We've received the video and I'll add it to the issue filed for this. :+1:

Ben

• cjke
    cjke
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben - good luck with the bug hunting

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.