1Password hangs after a few sleep/wakeup/lock cycles [Fixed in 7.4.747]

finwe
finwe
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Noticed a weird behaviour recently - sometimes, 1Password just won't open after a while of using the PC - it hangs, I cannot make it show any of its windows and shutting it down via right tray icon does not make things better either - I have to kill all (2, usually) its processes with process manager and start it clean to make it work.

Not entirely sure, but this does not happen until i put the PC to sleep after the clean program start.

Diagnostic report is ready to be sent when you say so - it is generating correctly now.

1Password Version: 7.4.741
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: n/a

Comments

• Hi @finwe,

Thanks for reporting this. No need to submit the report, this is a new known regression in 1Password 7.4.741 beta build.

We've been trying to track it down for the past three days and we're getting close to the source of it today. Hopefully, we'll have a fix soon.

• Just to make sure, you saw two processes, neither was the update process? Try to kill the non-main processes, it may fix the deadlock.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Thanks for clarification. No, both were generic 1Password.exe processes, at least from process manager point of view. Will try to get more info next time with ProcessExplorer.

• @finwe,

In the details tab of the task manager, if you right-click one of the columns like username, select Select columns and enable Command line, you'll be able to see which process is for which task like this:

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Oh. Sure, the second is the firefox extension helper, I guess (Runs with FirefoxManifest.json as a parameter)

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Can confirm that killing the update process fixes the issue.

• Thanks for letting us know!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

I noticed a weird behaviour which is kind of time consuming and difficult to verify, but on multiple occasions, it seems that I am not required to unlock the vault after the app is opened on killing the update process. I guess the steps are simple: have the vault open -> the update process is started -> go to sleep mode in windows -> upon waking up and trying to open the app, the vault is not locked again even after many hours of inactivity.

Is this possible? Might be a serious security flaw.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

By the way, is there a fix for this issue coming?

• Hi @finwe,

have the vault open -> the update process is started -> go to sleep mode in windows -> upon waking up and trying to open the app, the vault is not locked again even after many hours of inactivity.

Is this possible?

Yes, the app is frozen at this page, it can't do anything until the update or another process returns to normal, which is the bug, it should not wait that long before it stops listening to the other stuck process and kill it. Sleeping/waking up doesn't do anything to the app, it has to get unstuck before it does anything it is supposed to.

We are working on a few changes on this, it's the main reason we haven't shipped a new beta update yet.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Isn't this a bit lax approach for a bug that leaves a workspace unlocked through sleep/wakeup cycle of a computer?

• Isn't this a bit lax approach for a bug that leaves a workspace unlocked through sleep/wakeup cycle of a computer?

Sleep/wakeup is just a power state, most software do not react to them by default. To them, nothing actually happened between the whole cycle.

1Password has to explicitly listen to Windows broadcasting about how the PC is about to sleep. With this serious bug, the main process is stuck, it doesn't get any messages from Windows during that stuck period, so it doesn't actually know it went to sleep and thus it doesn't lock.

None of this is actually expected nor normal but that's why 1Password 7.4 is getting a much longer incubation period before it goes stable, the whole process infrastructure has been changed out. We're improving this in each beta update and will fix this.

• Hi @finwe,

Can you give 1Password 7.4.747 Beta 4 a try and let me know if it is working better. We're not done but it should be much better.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

I haven't experienced the issue since the update a few days ago.

• That's great to hear, thanks for testing this with us.

This discussion has been closed.