Installing 1Password before Chrome prevents Chrome from starting

Options
my_name_is_brian
my_name_is_brian
Community Member

It appears that if 1Password is installed before Chrome is installed, then when Chrome is installed Chrome is unable to start.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start with a fresh install of Mac OS (I am running Catalina but I believe it applies to others as well)
2. Install 1Password
3. Install Chrome (which is just open a DMG and drag to Applications)
4. Attempt to launch Chrome, acknowledging the prompt about opening a thing you just downloaded, but then nothing happens aside from the application "whoosh" animation; no error message, no crash log, etc

The instructions in this Apple thread proved useful in getting it to work: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7494016

At the time of the issue, my computer had a folder "~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome" containing NativeMessageHosts/gibberish.com.agilebits.1password.json. The permissions on "~/Library/Application Support/Google" did not include my user (perhaps 1Password created this file with elevated permissions?). So it seems Chrome did not have permission to write to its own data directory.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2020
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @my_name_is_brian! I'm not quite sure why that would be, but I'm glad you were able to solve the issue. Be careful about opening up permissions too widely for sensitive folders/files, but in general yes, you do need to have read/write access to the native messaging hosts JSON file, and "Everyone" needs to have no access. Let us know if you have any further troubles.

This discussion has been closed.