1Password X inline generator password length

Using the latest 1.18 of the extension in Chrome.
When I go to a site and I need to fill in a new password the proposed password is not as long (13 characters) as the one I have configured in my settings (24 characters).
Inline

Password generator

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Orado!

The inline password that appears under the password fields when you're creating a new item is just a suggested password (a feature of the 1Password X password generator). Suggested passwords are meant to fit most site's password requirements so you don't have to use the generator — Just fill and go. The suggested passwords won't adjust based on your password generator recipe. The password generator in the 1Password X pop-up (in your second screenshot) can be used as a backup when you need it. All that said, I'd be happy to pass along your feedback to the rest of my team so we can take it into consideration. :)

ref: dev/core/core#352

• Orado
    Orado
    Community Member

Is there any intelligence behind the inline generator or will it always just do 13 characters?
    In my opinion it would make sense if it adheres to the same rules as the normal password generator.

• Sinfully
    Sinfully
    Community Member

Hello there,

I have the exact same issue, and while I thank you @kaitlyn for your answer, the inline password suggested was indeed 20 characters with symbols before the latest update... How can we revert to this? It's way more convenient than to open the 1password X pop-up etc..

Please help :) ! Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Orado:

In the current version of 1Password X, it will always do 13 characters. You can read more about the reasons behind this choice here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Sinfully:

It is currently not possible to revert to the 20-character password generator in the inline password I am afraid. You can however always create a custom password with even more than 20 characters if you wish. 1Password X just stopped suggesting one for you for compatibility reasons. I encourage you to read my colleague Yaron's reply here for the reasons behind this choice.

• Sinfully
    Sinfully
    Community Member

Thanks a lot @ag_ana I really appreciate it :) have a nice weekend.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Sinfully! Have a great weekend too :)

This discussion has been closed.