Shut down 1Password when closing browser

Kodiak959
Kodiak959
Community Member

Am a new user...just starting Family Plan 30-day trial. How do I set up 1Password to shutdown when a Browser is closed (I use Windows Edge Chromium, Chrome and Firefox as my Browsers). At present, when I exit a Browser and come back into it, secure websites may be entered using 1Password...it never shut down. So, anyone who sits down at my PC (with no Browser running) can open a Browser and have full access to my websites. Would like to shut down 1Password when Browsers are closed. Thank you for the help--much appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kodiak959! Welcome to the forum!

Have you considered using 1Password X? 1Password X does not communicate with the desktop application, it is an independent extension that you can use without having to install anything else separately, so it will close as soon as you close your browser.

• Kodiak959
    Kodiak959
    Community Member

Not familiar with 1PasswordX. Will look at it. So, what is the answer to my question. Is there a way to automatically shut down the app, or is my PC vulnerable if I walk away and forget to maually turn of the 1Password app? Also, I have not seen if I can export/view/print my collection of passwords on 1Password. Is that possible? Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Kodiak959:

So, what is the answer to my question. Is there a way to automatically shut down the app, or is my PC vulnerable if I walk away and forget to maually turn of the 1Password app?

One answer to your question is to use 1Password X, as per my previous post. Since 1Password X lives entirely in the browser, when you close your browser, 1Password X will lock too.

If you don't want to use 1Password X, you can either lock your 1Password app manually whenever you want, or you can change the automatic lock settings to your liking, so the app automatically locks after a certain number of minutes that you can choose in the Settings.

or is my PC vulnerable if I walk away and forget to maually turn of the 1Password app?

If you walk away from your PC and you leave it unlocked, with the 1Password app open, anyone who sits down at your computer can do anything they want with it. I recommend always locking your PC when you leave it unattended.

Also, I have not seen if I can export/view/print my collection of passwords on 1Password. Is that possible?

Certainly, these are the instructions to export your data from 1Password. Be careful when you do it however, because data you export is unencrypted, and therefore not protected anymore.

• Kodiak959
    Kodiak959
    Community Member

Thank you, @ag_ana, for your wonderful response. You taught me a lot and have reinforced my liking of 1Password during my 30-day trial. Confused what to use. Now have both the 1Password app on my PC and 1PasswordX. Is there any advantage using one over the other? Also, there is only my wife and I. We use our PCs and tablets interchangeably. Is there a need for me to use the Family Plan? Again, thank you for your time and very helpful answers. Have a great day!

• @Kodiak959

Confused what to use. Now have both the 1Password app on my PC and 1PasswordX. Is there any advantage using one over the other?

It really mostly comes down to preference. The native apps (1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows) may have some functions that aren't available in 1Password X (including exporting & printing), but it is entirely possible that 1Password X alone will meet your needs. There is also nothing saying you can't use both. I personally use both on my main computer, but for computers I only use occasionally I only install 1Password X.

Also, I have not seen if I can export/view/print my collection of passwords on 1Password. Is that possible?

For what its worth we really don't recommend doing that, unless exporting for the purpose of moving to another password manager. What is the reason behind wanting to do so? For most use cases there is a better alternative to exporting or (especially) printing.

Also, there is only my wife and I. We use our PCs and tablets interchangeably.

This depends on your situation. You can share an individual membership if you'd like, but you'll both use the same credentials (email address, Secret Key, and Master Password) to access 1Password, and will have access to the exact same data. As far as 1Password is concerned: you'd be the same person. 1Password Families allows each of you to have your own credentials with your own private datasets, and then the ability to select what data you want to share with each other.

Again, thank you for your time and very helpful answers. Have a great day!

On behalf of Ana you're very welcome. I hope this helps as well. :)

Ben

• Kodiak959
    Kodiak959
    Community Member

@Ben, thank you very much for your great help! Much appreciated! Please, have a great day!

• You're very welcome, and you do the same. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.