Issue with Safari extension

WBA1818
WBA1818
Community Member
edited February 2020 in Mac

iPhone works as always but with MacBook Pro Catalina 10.15.3 can only copy and paste passwords. Have been doing this for months. Would really appreciate help. Needs to be basic language!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Have free 1Password. Always worked. Now iPhone works but MacBook Pro can only copy and paste pw.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WBA1818! Welcome to the forum!

What browser is this happening with? And what version of the 1Password browser extension have you installed in this browser?

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Hi there. Safari is the browser. I don't know know what the iPassword browser extension is or how to find it :blush: I used the Finder and it says: 1Password-4.7.0safariextz Kind - Safari extension April 9, 2018 l Under Apps it says 1Password7.app Dec. 17, 2019. There were two later Safari extensions in folders where I believe dates were later when I searched thru finder but they disappeared when I clicked on them. Does any of that help? I don't know how to find the ones on my iPhone where 1Password is working.

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Hi there. Safari is the browser. I don't know know what the iPassword browser extension is or how to find it :blush: I used the Finder an it says: 1Password-4.7.0safariextz Kind says Safari extension April 9, 2018 under the apps it says Under Apps it says 1Password7.app Dec. 17, 2019. There were two later Safari extensions in folders where I believe dates were later when I searched thru finder but they disappeared when I clicked on them. Does any of that help? I don't know how to find the ones on my iPhone where 1Password is working.

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Looks like I downloaded 7.4.2 but did not install???? Given some of the comments, maybe that wasn't a bad thing????

• @WBA1818

1Password 7 is required in order to use 1Password in Safari. What difficulty did you have when trying to install it?

Ben

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Hi there. Safari is the browser. I don't know know what the iPassword browser extension is or how to find it :blush: I used the Finder an it says: 1Password-4.7.0safariextz Kind says Safari extension April 9, 2018 under the apps it says Under Apps it says 1Password7.app Dec. 17, 2019. There were two later Safari extensions in folders where I believe dates were later when I searched thru finder but they disappeared when I clicked on them. Does any of that help? I don't know how to find the ones on my iPhone where 1Password is working.

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Hi Ben. I'm not sure if I tried before, but just now it won't let me install. Gets as far as click Install and next screen header says Quit 1Password at the top despite listing 1Password7, 1Password Mini and 1Password as choices of what to install. Chose Password and Install is grey and the only other choice is Go Back.On the list from Intro. to Install on the left, it chooses Quit 1Password. Even downloaded package again, tried to install, jumped to what I just described.

I still don't understand why it would be working on my iPhone but not on my laptop. Can't figure out how to look up version on my phone. Seems odd that it would be correct there and not either carried 7 over to my mac unless I got a notice on the phone and did it.
    I did read somewhere of someone on Reviews that he had terrible trouble downloading 7 and spent hours figuring it out...but didn't say how he did it!
    Really appreciate your help.

• @WBA1818

You can read about the situation with Safari and 1Password 6 here:

1Password 6 in Safari — 1Password Forum

In order to use 1Password with Safari on a Mac you'd need to upgrade to 1Password 7. This is a paid upgrade. To install it please try dragging any copies of 1Password from the Applications folder to the trash, rebooting your Mac, emptying the trash, and then running the installer.

If you don't want to upgrade at this time then you could use 1Password 6 with either Firefox or Chrome, however we'd recommend considering that a temporary solution. Staying on an older version of important software is never a great idea.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Hi Ben et al. Have latest version 7.4.2. Guess I paid for it some time ago. What I especially don't understand is that it is working properly on my iPhone but not on my laptop.

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Ben, Apple's only suggest was to uninstall and reinstall 1Password. They couldn't however, tell me if that would mean all of my pw's would be deleted or would stay or stay on my phone. Of course, it's a third party app so they aren't really supposed to help with that! Thanks so much for your help. Wendy

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@WBA1818:

Where is your data currently stored? If you are syncing your data somewhere, you will be able to restore it even after uninstalling and reinstalling the app. However, it should not be necessary to do it if you are just having a problem with the Safari extension.

If you open Safari Preferences > Extensions tab, do you see the 1Password extension enabled there? It should look like this:

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Hi Ag_ana. Thanks sooo... much for your response. My screen looks exactly like yours. Des that answer the question of where it is stored? I have iCloud. Would it be stored somewhere there? Will it be uninstalled in my iPhone as well as my laptop. I'm sure you can appreciate that I am nervous given that I would have to start from scratch with new passwords.
    Also wonder if I should change the headline for my question as I don't have 6 I have 7 as established.

• @WBA1818

You can check on your iPhone to see where your data is being synced, if it is: Open and unlock the 1Password app then navigate to Settings > Sync. See which option is selected.

Also wonder if I should change the headline for my question as I don't have 6 I have 7 as established.

I've moved and retitled the thread appropriately. :+1:

Ben

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Hi Ben. Sync Settings say Primary on left-icon looks like a TV remote! and at other side says iCloud. Underneath Primary says Sync now in blue last Sync says a minute ago (must be when I logged in) and items says 240. I checked on the laptop from your instructions and it says iCloud as well.
    What's next? Does this mean that if I deleted what is on the computer and reinstalled it it would still be on iCloud? Wouldn't seem so as but laptop said it had updated just like the phone did once I keyed in to 1Password, unless they act separately.
    Thanks so much for responding. Will await next suggestion!

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Ben, actually says< "Sync primary vault" iCloud on the computer.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@WBA1818

Can you share a screenshot of your sync settings? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361 should be able to provide clear details on how to do that if you're unfamiliar. * Please be sure not to include any passwords or other sensitive information in the screenshot.

1Password automatically backs up all of your data in standalone vaults - https://support.1password.com/backups/#your-standalone-vaults-are-backed-up-automatically-on-your-mac-or-windows-pc

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

OYE! I can't seem to add the picture to this tho I followed directions and took screen shot. I can't drag the image and I don't see a file.
    I says PREFERENCES at the top. When I click Sync it says
    Sync Primary (with the 1 Password logo) vault with iCloud grayed out with arrows for a dropdown that also is gray so can't be
    used with this screen and requires going into Sync to change.

Underneath it says "Last synced 50 minutes ago.
    Happy to send the screen shot if you can tell me how. Top is all that will come up if I drag and drop.

If I understand your second paragraph the passwords will all be saved if I delete and reinstall 1 Password on the laptop. Is that correct?
    I still don't understand why it would be working on the phone and not the laptop. I checked and phone says same thing. Actually, I'm not sure why I need VAULTS either as I would not share the passwords with anyone.

Thanks all for your help. Please let me know if this means should uninstall and install again and how! Sorry I'm not as sophisticated as rest of you but learning!
    Wendy

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Guess picture did work after all! Wendy

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@WBA1818:

Thank you for the screenshot! Unless I am misunderstanding the issue, I don't think this is a problem with your sync settings. Do you see the same data and items on all your devices already? If you do, we can focus on the extension issue that you originally mentioned, since sync seems to be configured correctly already.

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Sorry. I'm not understanding something. Everything looks the same on both my laptop and phone. However, 1 Password works properly on my phone but not on my laptop. I have to open 1Password, go to the site I want to open, and copy and paste the actual pw .
    I am almost tempted to uninstall and reinstall 1Password on my phone as it looks like it is in iCloud if I have this right. I could also back it up on my remote drive I guess and then reinstall. Does that make sense? Thanks. Appreciate all of this help. Wish I was better at understanding these things. WB

• WBA1818
    WBA1818
    Community Member

Oops. Should have proofread above before sending. 1PW works as it should on my iPhone. It has the same data but isn't working on my laptop. I have to open 1PW, choose the site I want, go to site, then copy and paste the password listed on 1PW as none of it is done automatically as it should be.
    If I understand correctly, since it is saved in the cloud and I can also back it up on my remote drive first.
    if I uninstall and then reinstall 1Password on my laptop, I shouldn't lose the data because it is in the cloud. Is that correct?
    If I uninstall it on my laptop it is also going to immediately uninstall on my phone?
    Thanks.
    Wendy

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@WBA1818:

if I uninstall and then reinstall 1Password on my laptop, I shouldn't lose the data because it is in the cloud. Is that correct?

That is correct.

If I uninstall it on my laptop it is also going to immediately uninstall on my phone?

No, those are two separate apps, so if you uninstall the app on one device, it will remain on the other.

I don't think it will be necessary to delete the app yet however, if the issue is just with the browser extension on your Mac. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with the conversation we have had here in the forum.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.