Browser Extensions no longer work (Safari and Chrome)

On one of my Macs, I can't access passwords through browser extension on Safari nor on Chrome. On Safari, I click the extension, the button changes color for a bit, but nothing happens. On Chrome, I click the button, a menu pops up and if I select 1Password Extension (Desktop App Required) Chrome loads the 1Password.com page regarding extensions. I've confirmed that the desktop app is up to date and open. I've restarted the Mac and both browsers. Also, reinstalled the extensions and restarted the browsers. Very disturbing. What's next?

1Password Version: Version 7.4.2 (70402005) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Chrome: 4.7.5.90, Safari: 7.4.2
OS Version: OS X 10.15.3
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:autofill not working

Comments

• BillO
    BillO
    Community Member

Same here I think. 7.4.2 Mac desktop. 1P extension doesn't work in Safari (apparently can only uninstall extension by uninstalling 1P completely).

1P extension doesn't work in Firefox (v 4.7.5.90). Debug says "Reading manifest: Error processing key: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest."

1P extension in Chrome offers no passwords only "1Password extension (desktop app required)" which takes me to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk/related and 1Password, which takes me to https://1password.com/

1Password mini just offers to install the (already installed) extension when either Firefox or Chrome windows are in the foreground. Does not respond when Safari is in the foreground. Seems to work as expected when some other window is in the foreground

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @waxwing1 and @BillO!

Can you please try following the instructions posted my my colleague Ben here and see if they help? They focus specifically on Safari, but they should help with the Chrome issue as well.

• sanguine1
    sanguine1
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

I am using 1Password desktop and the matching chrome extension. The chrome extension has ceased working after the recent chrome update.

Please see the numerous recent reviews in the Chrome store. This is a software issue.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sanguine1 ,

Whenever Chrome has a pending update, 1Password will break the connection with the desktop app until the update is complete. A simple relaunch to Chrome and 1Password should do the trick and solve %99 of these cases:
    1. Open the 1Password app and unlock it.
    2. Click the "1Password" menu on the top left of the screen next to the Apple logo, press and hold OPTION(alt)+CTRL and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    3. Quit Chrome by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    4. Open and unlock 1Password.
    5. Open Chrome and test if it is working properly.

If that didn't help, we will need you to send us a diagnostics report to support+extensions@1password.com:

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

I'm also seeing this issue, but intermittently. Also on Chrome on macOS 10.15.3. Quitting and re-starting 1Password seems to solve it. I recall there was a browser extension bug which caused this issue a few weeks back, and was patched last month, I believe? Wondering if it could be related.

Completely anecdotally, I think I noticed this intermittent issue started up again at around the time I updated to Chrome 80 (stable channel), but that could be a coincidence and I'm not 100% certain of that timeline.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @EnerJi ,
    The issue where the extension doesn't work all of a sudden is because of a pending update %99 of the times. The other issue you are referring to is an autofill bug that caused the 1Password window to refresh itself when trying to autofill, which is a different issue.

There have been several Chrome updates recently, which is why you might have experienced it multiple times over a short period of times. I suggest you quit Chrome completely when you are done using it, that way it will update itself when it needs to. If you keep Chrome open 24/7, it won't be able to update and will have to keep the updates pending, causing the issue :)

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

Hi @Yaron, I can assure you there was no update pending in any of the times I noticed this issue. Long, long time 1password user here; I'm very familiar with all the basic troubleshooting steps. :)

That said, since I don't appear to be experiencing a common or known issue, I'll grab a diagnostic report the next time it happens.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @EnerJi! Let us know your ticket number if you ever send us a diagnostics report so we can connect it to the conversation we had here on the forum :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.