Weird behavior with 7.4.2 from App Store / Interactions with iOS 7.4.5

Tyler Duzan
Tyler Duzan
Community Member

Howdy,

I had my 1Password 7 update to 7.4.2 recently from the app store and I'm now seeing some weird behavior. There's two issues in particular which stand out as very very frustrating.

1. My master password is just straight refused in 1Password Mini or the browser extension, but works fine when using 1Password full screen. I can "fix" this temporarily by quitting 1Password completely and restarting it or rebooting my Macbook. In either case, once it's working again it will again fail after some arbitrary period of time.
  2. Items created on my Macbook in 7.4.2 aren't syncing to my iPhone which uses 7.4.5. Example of this is I sign up for a new service online from my laptop and download their app, I go to login to the app on my phone but the password hasn't synced. I've seen sync delays in the past but they can be resolved just by opening and closing the app on my phone and reopening. Then it shows up. Right now I've been messing with it for the better part of an hour and no luck, I even deleted my 1Password Teams account off my phone, and then re-setup my account. It loaded data to match exactly the prior state but the password shows up fine on my laptop. I don't have any local vaults on my laptop either... just Teams. It's in a Teams-only vault.
  3. I can't empty the trash in 1Password 7 on my laptop. It will hang with no progress occurring and cannot be canceled. I am forced to quit 1Password completely to return back to normal behavior.

All of this happened after the 7.4.2 update. I don't know why.

1Password Version: 7.4.2, 7.4.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.3, iOS 13.3.1
Sync Type: 1Password Teams

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Tyler Duzan!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• Tyler Duzan
    Tyler Duzan
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Howdy @ag_ana,

I submitted the requested diagnostics report while issue #1 was happening, but actually issue #2 is more pressing because even now stuff created more than 24 hours ago is unavailable on my phone. It seems syncing is broken internally in my 1Password.com / 1Password Teams account. I don't know what to do there, as I have no way to control it at all... but it's becoming a critical problem as I'm in the midst of setting things up for a new side project and I can't login to any mobile apps related to it currently.

Ticket number for my diagnostics report is unavailable currently as I've received no reply from the ticketing system what is now 5 minutes after submission. I'm guessing outbound email delays?

• @Tyler Duzan

I found your report. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

ref: HVC-39713-123

• Tyler Duzan
    Tyler Duzan
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_tommy. FWIW, it seems several other reports in this forum exist which map to my issue #1 in my list above. Looks like maybe it is limited to Mac App Store version of 7.4.2, which is also what I have installed. Is AgileBits considering re-releasing 7.4.2 (maybe doing a 7.4.2-1 or something) on the Mac App Store to correct this?

• Tyler Duzan
    Tyler Duzan
    Community Member

Updated information on #2 above:

If I login to 1password.com and check my vault which new logins were saved into, they are not there!!!!! That means only my MacBook currently has a copy of these login details and has failed to sync them to 1Password.com!

Is there any way I can force the synchronization?

• Tyler Duzan
    Tyler Duzan
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Hmm, I think all three of my issues are related. I'm poking deeper into what's happening behind the scenes and I notice a few things.

1. My 1Password 7.4.2 instance thinks 2FA is disabled on my account, except that it's enabled. It never prompts for 2FA when unlocking, but only unlocks the once after initial startup.
    2. Moving items between vaults or taking other actions to try to force them to sync to 1Password.com does nothing.
    3. My trash has different counts of items on 1Password.com and in my 1Password 7.4.2 instance as well.

I think there's a partial connectivity happening between 1Password.com and my local 1Password 7.4.2. The unlock issue is probably tied to 2FA in some way, and the fact it hangs when I try to empty trash is likely tied to the issue for vault synchronization.

• Tyler Duzan
    Tyler Duzan
    Community Member

Just to validate that this is the Mac App Store version only, I installed 7.4.2 from the pkg on the website. It works flawlessly. It prompts for my 2FA token on first login, unlocking afterwards succeeds, I successfully emptied trash nearly instantly, and I all my stuff just synced to my phone. Something is very very broken in the Mac App Store build.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@Tyler Duzan

I have no knowledge, of any plans, that's above my pay grade. If you want to try our web store version, please follow these set instructions.

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
  • Tyler Duzan
    Tyler Duzan
    Community Member

Howdy @ag_tommy:

Just wanted to confirm I'm now running the web download version of 1Password 7.4.2 on both of my Macbooks and it works fine. Both were affected by the same issues with the Mac App Store version. I hope AgileBits takes this seriously and releases a fix promptly. I had ~20 logins which never got synced to 1Password.com, some without me even realizing it. There are likely many customers impacted by this (as seen in the forums) and they will potentially lose data due to a failure of the software to deliver on the promise of seamless syncing.

• @Tyler Duzan

I am glad to hear you are up and running and I am sure that the powers that be, have a plan in the works. They always do and are quick to release fix's once the issue is determined. I only meant that I personally, had no knowledge of their efforts. They work on a different team who are no doubt crunching code as quickly as possible to locate the issue.

• Tyler Duzan
    Tyler Duzan
    Community Member

@ag_tommy:

Is there any mechanism within the downloaded pkg version of 1Password 7 to update itself? One of the main reasons I use the Mac App Store version is to ensure I get timely updates in case there are security-impacting issues.

• @Tyler Duzan

Yes,

1Password > Preferences > Updates > Automatically check for updates
    * Optionally Install updates automatically.

You will likely get quicker updates via our web store vs. the Mac App Store, mainly due to the fact the Mac App Store version always has to go through the approval process, which can take time.

A long time ago, I moved from the Mac App Store to the web store because it often had quicker releases. I think you will find the same thing to be true.

• Tyler Duzan
    Tyler Duzan
    Community Member

Howdy @ag_tommy:

Thanks. Both of my MacBooks are now on web store version, so I will enable automatic updates.

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.