Mac App Doesn't Recognize Two Factor Authentication is Setup

Options
troys
troys
Community Member

Yesterday I logged into 1Password.com, turned on 2FA with an Authenticator App and added two different U2F Security Keys to my account. My iOS 1password saw this right away and asked for a 2FA code. However on Mac desktop when I first launch 1password after a reboot I can login using my Master Password. But if I lock 1Password I cannot unlock it again, it fails every time and I have to Quit 1Password Completely via the mini 1Password. If I go to Preferences -> Accounts in the Mac app I see under my account that "Two Factor Authentication is turned off." Clicking the link just takes me to the regular support page https://support.1password.com/two-factor-authentication/.

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do fix this?

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:two factor mac master key

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @troys

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Did you install 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store?

Ben

• troys
    troys
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks Ben, yes I did install it from the Mac App Store.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks. We're aware of this issue. It should be fixed in the next update. In the meantime you may want to consider switching to the download directly from our website which is not affected by this issue:

1. Quit Safari if open
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password

Let me know how it turns out. :) You should be able to authenticate using TOTP once complete. 1Password for Mac does not support U2F keys at this point.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.