Upgrade from macOS 10.12.x and 1P 5.4.x to macOS 10.14.x and 1P 7.x

Options
convint
convint
Community Member

The goal is to end up with macOS 10.14.x and new 1P subscription and 1P 7.x. Please help with order of events. If I upgrade iMac OS first, i.e., from macOS 10.12 to 10.14, will the old 1P 5.4 open in Mojave? Or, do I not need to open the earlier version? Just create a 1P account, install 1P 7.x and add the new account to the app? Version 7 will locate and open/upgrade the old vault from 1P 5.4.x? Many thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @convint

I'd recommend upgrading macOS first, then 1Password, and while upgrading 1Password sign up for a membership. Once you upgrade 1Password and sign in it should pick up your data and migrate it:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• convint
    convint
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks, Ben. So, no need to do anything in 1Password 5.4.x first. Just upgrade to macOS 10.14. At that point, attempt to launch 1Password 5.4.x and that should spur an upgrade opportunity. Upgrade app, set up membership, move the data, delete original local vault, etc. Get the new 1Password 7.3 working well on the Mac, then use the app's "Set up other devices" feature to setup 1Password on iPhone and sign into same account on iPhone. I will follow this plan. Thanks again.

• Ben
    Options

I wouldn't even launch 1Password 5 on macOS 10.14, just install 1Password 7:

Downloads

Otherwise, yes. :)

Ben

• convint
    convint
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thank you for the clarification. 😀

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben