Warning - 1password will delete password on misclick [Edit can be can be cancelled]

Options
jrr
jrr
Community Member
edited February 2020 in Mac

Just noticed that 1password has a "feature" that if you click the button with wheel on it - which has no tooltip so it would tell what it does - it will not just open some details/settings page, but will generate a new password for you. And if the previous password was not saved (it was e.g. just generated), it will be gone forever...

This should come up with bunch of warnings that do you really want to throw away your existing password forever, since in this case it won't be in any password history or anywhere. I have to go to considerable lengths to recover from this.

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jrr,

Thank you for the report. I have not been able to reproduce that issue. 1Password always saves the original password in password history for me. Additionally, the change can be cancelled by selecting 'Cancel' instead of 'Save.' I recorded a video showing my experience. Could you please let me know the specific steps that you're taking that end with a different result?

[Here's the link to the video.](https://bucket.agilebits.com/tmp/ben/screencast 2020-02-20 15-00-05.mp4)

Ben

• jrr
    jrr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben , thank you for commenting! However, you are not performing the steps I described.

I deliberately mentioned "if the previous password was not saved", which is my use case. On your video you show that you are saving the password in between, so then it is in history. However, if somebody didn't click the save button and instead clicks the wheel (like in your video, before you hit 'save', if you had clicked the wheel icon instead), then the password will be replaced by new one and you cannot revert to the password that was there - it is lost forever.

• jrr
    jrr
    Community Member
    Options

Use case is that you're changing your password, so you generate new one. Then you copy the generated password to the web site and perform steps to change it, but you forgot to press "Save" button in 1password. Then you go back to 1password and try to figure what the wheel button does, thinking it goes to some settings or something and press it... and then you lose your password for good.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jrr:

Use case is that you're changing your password, so you generate new one. Then you copy the generated password to the web site and perform steps to change it, but you forgot to press "Save" button in 1password.

May I suggest using the password generator in the 1Password browser extension instead? It sounds like you are following a more complicated method to change passwords for your accounts directly in the desktop app, but the browser extension can help you do the same thing with less steps, and with automatic password save when you copy the generated password.

• jrr
    jrr
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, thanks for the suggestion, but for my use case a browser extension would not be that good for several other use cases I need 1password for (such as ssh logins). And even if I would switch to using a browser extension, the behaviour of 1password app in the situation I described should IMO be fixed - this shouldn't happen.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020
    Options

@jrr:

thanks for the suggestion, but for my use case a browser extension would not be that good for several other use cases I need 1password for (such as ssh logins).

Note that you should not switch to the browser extension: it can installed in addition to the desktop app, so you can use one or the other depending on what you need to do.

And even if I would switch to using a browser extension, the behaviour of 1password app in the situation I described should IMO be fixed - this shouldn't happen.

I agree, I will pass your feedback to the developers for consideration :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#1739

This discussion has been closed.