Moved from Dropbox to Family, but also have Team account. Understanding vault code primacy...

Longtime Dropbox user, moved to Family for personal use, but also running a Team account.

I've only just tried deleting the Dropbox vault, it asks for the code... tap tap tap... but then it asks for the Teams account's code saying that it will be used to open the vaults. I pressed cancel... why? I'd much prefer to use the Family code.

The Family and Teams vaults have different codes (obviously) Currently I have access to both whilst the Dropbox vault is still attached... and I only have to type in the Dropbox/Family code. I suspect that's as clear as mud.

Does the Teams account's code have primacy over the Family account? Can I change it so that the program is unlocked using the Family account's code rather than the Team code? I've not tried experimenting yet, but as the codes are different, is it going to start asking for the both codes to unlock the vaults?

I expect this is going to be a doozy to unravel.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:moving from dropbox have family and business accounts

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@paul_piglobal

I expect this is going to be a doozy to unravel.

I don't think so. :)

Longtime Dropbox user, moved to Family for personal use but also running a Team account.

Super!

tried deleting the Dropbox vault, it asks for the code... tap tap tap... but then it asks for the Teams account's code saying that it will be used to open the vaults.

Yes, normal behavior, see below.

I'd much prefer to use the Family code.

Understandable! I would too.

The Family and Teams vaults have different codes (obviously)

:+1:

Currently I have access to both whilst the Dropbox vault is still attached... and I only have to type in the Dropbox/Family code.

Yes, typical behavior see below. :)

Does the Teams account's code have primacy over the Family account?

No, I have a teams account, family and individual and the teams doesn't exhibit this kind of behavior.

Can I change it so that the program is unlocked using the Family account's code rather than the Team code?

Yes.

I've not tried experimenting yet, but as the codes are different, is it going to start asking for the both codes to unlock the vaults?

Nope.

--

Here are the nuts and bolts of the situation, and hopefully it will be clear.

1Password Mac always uses the Primary (Dropbox sync) vault to open all other vaults, this is why you can unlock the Family and Teams account by enter the singe Master Password. When you remove the Primary vault 1Password needs a vault to reference for unlocking. It sounds like you had a Dropbox Primary vault, added a Teams account and then added a Family account. 1Password will follow down the list and use the next vaults Master Password for unlocking when one vault/account is removed.

To get things how you want it.

1. 1st remove the Primary (Dropbox) vault. * Provided you have all of your data in the Family account.
    • Make sure you have your Emergency Kit for both accounts before proceeding.
    1. Remove, the Teams account. At this point you will have only one account on your install, the Family account. That Family account, Master Password will be used for unlocking.
    2. Add the Teams account back to 1Password. 1Password will still use the Family account Master Password for unlocking any other accounts.

In a nutshell, 1Password encrypts the 2nd Master Password with the 1st accounts Master Password, the 2nd, 3rd, and so on. The Master Passwords are never stored unencrypted.

I hope that helps, and if I need to clarify something, please let me know.

• paul_piglobal
    paul_piglobal
    Community Member

Excellent!
    I’ll try it later.

Thanks

Paul

This discussion has been closed.