"Enable in Safari" Notification, then 1Password Disabled in Safari

Options
drtimhill
drtimhill
Community Member
edited February 2020 in Mac

Hi, I'm on macOS 10.13.5 with 1password 7.4.3 (from AppStore). Recently, I've started seeing an odd notification appear, that says "Enable 1password access in Safari" (or some wording similar to that, it disappears too quickly). The notification has "Cancel" and "Enable..." options. If I click "Enable..." I see nothing further, EXCEPT at this point 1password STOPS working with Safari. No auto-fill, no ability to launch web sites from 1password.

If I reboot, everything goes back to normal. 1password works fine inside Safari, auto-filling etc. However, at some future time (several days), up pops the notification again, and yet again, after it vanishes, 1password in Safari is disabled.

I can't find any settings in Safari or 1password to handle this, and I'm not sure where the notification is coming from (my guess is Safari). Anyone else seen this? Anyone else know how to fix it?

TIA
--Tim

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drtimhill!

When this happens, do you see the 1Password extension enabled under Safari Preferences > Extensions tab, or does it disappear from there too?

• drtimhill
    drtimhill
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I checked that. It clearly shows as Enabled. I tried disable/enable, and this didn't work. I also clicked Uninstall, but that just tells me I need to uninstall the whole app (which I dont want to do).

• mbglobe
    mbglobe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Tim, I do have exactly the same Problem. Have you found a Solution?

I would like to add for anyone else reading this, that

• the Extension Button is visible in Safari but when pressed just does not do anything
    • Extension shows as enabled in Safari / Preferences / Extensions
    • 1Password Mini shows "Turn on 1Password extension in Safari..." Dialoge when clicked

Problem is resolved when Mac is restarted and reoccurred after 24hours (including the Notification Mentioned in Tim's Post). Its been doing that for about 3 days for me.

Safari Version 13.0.5
    1Password Version 7.4.3
    on a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.3

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
    M

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drtimhill, @mbglobe:

Our developers are investigating this at the moment. Are you both running 1Password from the Mac App Store? Do you see the same behavior if you use the 1Password app from our website instead?

• mbglobe
    mbglobe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana,

I think I use 1Password downloaded from the 1Password Website.

Just quitting and restarting Safari did not work but I tried quitting Safari, logging out of my MacOS account and logging back in and the Extension worked again after opening Safari again.

So either restart or log out does seem to reset the extension and make it work again. It then works well without problems until the next day.

Thank you very much for looking into this.

Best regards,
    M

• Neoxellos
    Neoxellos
    Community Member
    Options

Will changing from App Store version to 1Password app on your website solve these update issues?

1Password Updates through the App Store for me are a pain since at least September 2018. After every update there is a topic about this on these forums, so I guess I am not the only one, and still these issues are not solved completely. Instead of the previous ctrl + alt + cmd + q solution, now I have a dead Safari extension after every update. Reboot will solve it though. Also I noticed that the actual version number of 1Password, only changes after reboot. Which to me looks like update still fails, only without the previous "unable to close 1Password completely", or something similar.

Sorry if I missed possible earlier posts stating it is better to not use the App Store version?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mbglobe:

Thank you for the information, that is very useful! We will continue looking into this and will keep your experience in mind :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Neoxellos:

Sorry if I missed possible earlier posts stating it is better to not use the App Store version?

If you use the 1Password app downloaded from our website, you will get updates faster since you don't have to wait for Apple to approve every update. So in that sense, it is better to use the direct download version.

For what it's worth, I have never experienced the issues that you mentioned in my copy of 1Password (I use the direct download from the website for the faster updates).

• danielctull
    danielctull
    Community Member
    Options

This has been happening to me for a week or so, and just happened on Catalina 10.15.3 with 1Password 7.4.4 from the Mac App Store.

One solution I have found is to go to Activity Monitor and force quit all the 1Password processes. When I click the 1Password button in Safari it then launches the process and shows the 1Password extension window. I'm not sure exactly which process it is that needs restarting, I just attempt to quit them all and it seems to fix things, however it only seems to last for a day or so.

• Neoxellos
    Neoxellos
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana
    Is there a procedure somewhere that I can follow uninstalling the App Store version and installing the direct download without losing anything?

• zignice
    zignice
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same issue. Driving me crazy.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danielctull:

Thank you for sharing this with us, that's useful!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zignice:

Thank you for letting us know and sorry for the frustration! As I wrote before, our developers are investigating this, so thank you for your patience so far :)

• drtimhill
    drtimhill
    Community Member
    Options

Just a quick update... This happened again today after Safari installed an update. Got the "Enable 1Password in Safari" notification, clicked Enable .. nothing appeared to happen. As before, 1password was broken in Safari.

This time, however, rather than restarting my Mac, I logged out and then logged back in. After this, 1password DID work in Safari. However, I suspect at some point I'll get the notification again, though I'm not clear what triggers it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drtimhill:

Thank you for the additional information! Our developers are currently looking into this, so your update will be useful :+1: Thank you for your patience once again while we get to the bottom of this!

• Sageantes
    Sageantes
    Community Member
    Options

I was having this same problem with Safari. I have just completed the instruction as per ag_ana and eureka it works like a dream. Thank you stress levels back to normal now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sageantes, you are very welcome! I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Sageantes
    Sageantes
    Community Member
    Options

;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue on an iMac, MBP and MBA in our family - all downloaded from the App Store. I think Quit 1Password Completely from the cog menu from the 1P menu bar icon and relaunching the full App is the most reliable way of getting it to work again. I get messages that say I need to enable 1P in Safari extensions but it is already enabled. Been an issue for a couple of weeks - reported earlier, but once it is fixed for a Safari / 1P release combo there is no need to continue to fret. Until the next release! Mildly annoying, especially for family members that don't really understand how Safari and 1P are different!!

• sourceror
    sourceror
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Notification from Safari. Whatever you choose there seems to disable the extension. In the Extensions menu all looks good.

Only after stopping all processes or rebooting the Mac you can continue to work for another day or so. Then the same happens.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76) with 1Password 7.4.4 Appstore version.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amjbrown, @sourceror:

Thank you both for sharing your experiences! As I wrote above in this discussion, our developers are investigating the issue :+1:

• jaknudsen
    jaknudsen
    Community Member
    Options

I am still experiencing exactly the same issue as the OP. It's been on and off for a few months.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jaknudsen:

What version of 1Password are you currently running? Also from the Mac App Store?

• jaknudsen
    jaknudsen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana , I am running version 7.6 from Mac App Store on both my Macs. They are both experiencing the issue.

This discussion has been closed.