"master password" vs "password" on 1password apps...legacy primary vault issue?

BillC
BillC
Community Member
edited February 2020 in iOS

While recovering from a minor issue with 1P on my wife's iPad and iPhone, we discovered that the password on her devices (also iMac) was the same as on (userid).1password.com. On my devices, the password is different from the one on the web site.

Both on-line versions were set up as part of a family account about 4 years ago, and both used multiple word "master" passwords generated by 1P. We both used a different password for 1P on our devices, inherited from the stand-alone versions.

On my ios device, if I go to 1Password Accounts ---> (account name), I see an option "Change Password". What precisely will this do? Change the device 1P password only, or also the on-line and recovery kit password?
On my wife's, the same process leads to "Change Master Password". Same question.

I am assuming that this is some cruft left over from migrating both accounts from stand-alone primary vaults to the current shared account, but I'm curious whether it is possible to maintain separate passwords for the "master" (used for both on-line 1P and recovery kit installations), and the password used on a daily basis on computers and ios devices.

1Password Version: 7.4.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 12.4.1
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BillC!

I am assuming that this is some cruft left over from migrating both accounts from stand-alone primary vaults to the current shared account, but I'm curious whether it is possible to maintain separate passwords for the "master" (used for both on-line 1P and recovery kit installations), and the password used on a daily basis on computers and ios devices.

This is because you probably still have your old Primary vault on this device, from before you created a 1Password account. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

In light of this, I can answer your other questions:

On my ios device, if I go to 1Password Accounts ---> (account name), I see an option "Change Password". What precisely will this do? Change the device 1P password only, or also the on-line and recovery kit password?

If you indeed have a Primary vault in your 1Password app, this will only change the Master Password for your online account.

On my wife's, the same process leads to "Change Master Password". Same question.

If your wife does not have a Primary vault, her online Master Password will be the one that she uses to unlock the 1Password app too. In this case, changing the Master Password will change both the account Master Password and the app Master Password.

• BillC
    BillC
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_ana. I hadn’t realized that the presence of a primary vault allows separate passwords for local devices and 1Password.com. Created a new primary local vault and now I can have separate passwords for local devices and online.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BillC, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.