Locked out of 1P Mac app after migrating persistent standalone vault into Family alongside Teams

Options

Hey all,

To preface, this happened on both of my machines so I'm escalating rather than excusing as one-off madness.

I'm a long-time user of the standalone Mac and iOS versions, and also of the Business/Teams version which happily worked alongside each other. I got a Family subscription the other day, migrated my local vault, and was immediately locked out of the app on my machine with password rejections at Master password entry, despite it working fine on the site.

I totally nuked the install on that machine, reinstalled, logged in to both accounts and it was fine after that point (though that's not exactly a fun process), but now that it's doing the exact same thing on my other machine, I'd rather see if there's a way to fix it and hopefully make sure other users don't get hosed in the same way.

Please advise on how to proceed.

1Password Version: Version 7.4.3 (70403002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020
    Options

@phtevengee

Does the other machine have the teams account listed before the personal?

The Mac app always uses the Master Password of the first account/vault added to the machine for unlocking.

Some example situations.

Machine A, has a Team account and a Personal account was added later. Machine A would unlock with the Master Password of the Team account.
    Machine B has a Personal account and a Team account was added later. Machine B would unlock with the Master Password of the Personal account.
    Machine C has a Dropbox (Primary vault) and a Teams account, Machine C would unlock with the Primary vault Master Password.

If you remove the Primary vault, 1Password will use the Master Password of the next account/vault for unlocking.

You would be able to login on the site because you would be accessing, the specific account that the Master Password corresponds with. On another note, when creating the account you would have been given the opportunity to change the Master Password, do you recall using the same password? Some people change it at this point.You may be able to search your vault for an entry titled 1Password Account... in it your Master Password may be recorded, if you need to verify it.

I hope that I haven't confused you, please let me know if this helps solve the issue or we need to dig further.

• phtevengee
    phtevengee
    Community Member
    Options

AHA! That did it. Thanks much! Makes sense in context, because it's removing the standalone vault, which was first, which makes it fail over to the business vault

• @phtevengee

Thanks for letting me know this helped you. :)

This discussion has been closed.