Auto fill not working after updating to Mac Version 7.4.4 on 2/26/20. Have to resort to copy+paste.

gfm
gfm
Community Member

Auto fill was working fine until update to Mac version 7.4.4 yesterday. Could fill login info by right clicking on the target site's credentials window and selecting "1Password" which would fill in the username & password. Simple, efficient. Now I have to copy and paste the usernames and passwords from 1PW. Very cumbersome. This problem happened several months ago after an update and eventually got corrected in an update to the update. Now, I'm more dependent on 1PW--so, please restore the auto fill function ASAP! ("open and fill" not available from within 1PW either)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:auto fill not working after update to 7.4.4

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gfm! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please let us know what browser this is happening with?

• gfm
    gfm
    Community Member

Hi. And thank you for following up: Safari Version 13.0.5 (13608.5.12).

I have only been running 1PW on Safari since I installed it about a year ago.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gfm:

Thank you for the confirmation! Our developers are aware of an issue that can affect Safari on the latest version of 1Password, so it is possible that you have encountered exactly this issue. If you open Safari Preferences > Extensions tab, do you see the 1Password extension enabled there? It should look like this:

• gfm
    gfm
    Community Member

Hi. And thank you for following up: Safari Version 13.0.5 (13608.5.12).

I have only been running 1PW on Safari since I installed it about a year ago.

• gfm
    gfm
    Community Member

Yes. It is installed and has been open while this problem has occurred (except, my version says 7.4.4).

• @gfm

Have you tried restarting the Mac since this problem began? We've had a few reports recently that a restart has kickstarted things with regards to Safari loading extensions.

Ben

• gfm
    gfm
    Community Member

I had not, until you mentioned trying it--and that fixed the problem!! Tested on two different logins and worked as it is supposed to. Thank you very much.

• You're very welcome. Sorry for the inconvenience. Glad to hear that helped.

Ben

• OLAF_07973
    OLAF_07973
    Community Member

I have exactly the same problem as gfm. 1Password Version 7.4.4 (70404001) Mac App Store won't open and fill Safari Version 13.0.5 (15608.5.11). I have tried downloading and installing the 1password version as opposed to the version from the Mac App Store, as per https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/ and whereas the app was previously called ”1password 7” it is now called “1Password 7.2”, but this hasn’t worked. I have tried restarting my Mac several times but with no beneficial effect.

When I open Safari extensions it shows 1password 7 as being “open”. However, following the lead given by ag_ana to gfm, when I open Safari > Preferences > Extentions I get the following as shown on attached screenshot. You will notice that the extension is not ticked (checked) as being open.

Can you help please?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@OLAF_07973:

when I open Safari > Preferences > Extentions I get the following as shown on attached screenshot. You will notice that the extension is not ticked (checked) as being open.

The extension needs to be checked in order to be active and working. What happens if you try to check the 1Password extension in that window?

• OLAF_07973
    OLAF_07973
    Community Member

Thanks for your response. When I try to check the box nothing happens. It remains unchecked

• OLAF_07973
    OLAF_07973
    Community Member

PS. I don't know whether this will be helpful for you, but I have done some other experiments. In Safari > Preferences > Autofill, as an example, I have confirmed that I am able to check other items. Additionally, I have downloaded the Safari extension for Dashlane (a competitor of yours?), as an experiment, and equally I I am unable to check this extension. It simply doesn't respond. I'm wondering whether this tends to prove that this is a problem with a recent upgrade to Safari with regard to extensions?

I would still be grateful for any advice you have, but in the meantime I will check on the Apple support line to see if others are experiencing this and whether they have found a workaround.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@OLAF_07973:

Thank you for the update and for the additional details. We have received a few reports about this Safari behavior recently, so we will continue investigating. In the meantime, the extension should work fine in Firefox or Chrome.

• OLAF_07973
    OLAF_07973
    Community Member

Thank you. Yes, it works fine in Chrome, which I will continue to use for the present. I assume you will respond once you have found a fix for Safari?

• @OLAF_07973

Please try these instructions with regard to the issue with Safari:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• OLAF_07973
    OLAF_07973
    Community Member

Hello Ben, thank you very much. I followed your very lucid instructions and it's now working fine. I've opened three or four logins and they all open and fill automatically.

For the benefit of you and others that may have the same problem and are following this chain, I did have one small difficulty initially. First time through. in response to your instruction 3., I dragged one password from the dock to the trash and then emptied the trash as per 4. When I restarted my Mac, as per your instruction 5., I noticed that the 1Password logo reappeared in the dock, albeit not open, and I again moved it to trash. I then followed instructions 6. and 7., but when I followed 8. the extension was unchecked and I was unable to check it.

When I looked in Finder > Applications I found I had three references to 1Password. One zip file relating to my previous activity in downloading your version directly rather than the Mac App Store version, as described earlier above on the 1st of March, together with two versions of the app 1Password. I dragged and dropped the zip file and one version of 1Password from Finder > Applications to the bin and then emptied the bin. However when I tried to drag and drop the second version of 1Password from Finder > Applications I could not do it and I kept getting a dialogue box which said something like, “unable to perform this action as 1Password is still open”. It was at this time that I noticed I still had the 1Password extension open in the taskbar. Following a two finger tap on the touchpad over this logo, I selected “Quit 1Pasword Completely” and the extension logo disappeared. I emptied the bin for good measure, then dragged and dropped the remaining version of one password in Finder > Applications to the bin and emptied it again.

Finally, I went through your whole sequence of instructions 1. through to 9. once more and all was fine. Yippee!!

In summary, I think the lesson to be learned is that folk may have tried other things, as I did, before putting up a distress flare to yourselves. Given that this might be so, the execution of your instructions 3. needs to be done from Finder > Applications, and at the same time checking that a residual 1Password extension isn't open in the taskbar.
    I'm quite prepared to except that the problem for me might have been caused by my naivetey in thinking that dragging and dropping icons from the dock to the bin was sufficient by itself.

Thanks again for your help.

• @OLAF_07973

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Hopefully, we can adjust our responses to better reflect the necessary steps, especially for new users. :+1: :)

You're most welcome and sorry for any confusion.

• jshear739
    jshear739
    Community Member

Have the same issue as described above however it is affecting Safari and Firefox. Will try Ben suggestion above but want to add this is also an issue with Firefox.

• jshear739
    jshear739
    Community Member

Have followed the instructions provided by Ben above and I am now able to AutoFill again. This "fix" is basically going back to 7.4.3. So there is something broke in 7.4.4 in reference to AutoFill for Safari and Firefox.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @jshear739! We will keep an eye on this, but I am glad that Ben's suggestions helped you for now :+1:

• TreefrogsGA
    TreefrogsGA
    Community Member

Running 7.4.3 and cannot autofill logins on any website using both Safari and Firefox. Have followed all the steps - restarting computer, deleting and reinstalling 1Password, making sure Browsers in preferences are selected for "keep Extension Helper running" and "detect new user names". Was working fine until update. Running 10.15.4 on MacBook Air 1.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7. PLease help!

• Hi @TreefrogsGA

Could you please clarify if you tried these instructions, specifically? https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/549867/#Comment_549867
    While it sounds like you've tried most if not all of the steps outlined there, we've had a very high rate of success for customers following those steps exactly as specified. Please let me know.

Ben

• TreefrogsGA
    TreefrogsGA
    Community Member

Yes, I followed them exactly as prescribed. Firefox is 75.0 and Safari is 13.1, FYI. Once at at website, I open 1Password and have to enter the website in the search bar. Now "autofill" will work, but it's not reading the URL to begin with. Thanks.

• Thanks @TreefrogsGA. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/555922/#Comment_555922
    • Your forum username: TreefrogsGA

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.