Two Factor Scanner Black on Mac [No longer available in Mac App Store version]

Options
alexclst
alexclst
Community Member
edited February 2020 in Mac

Since a recent 1Password update I have not been able to use the scanner window for two factor QR codes. It is just black, and never shows the screen behind it.

I have checked in the Privacy tab of Security & Privacy System Preferences and 1Password is checked in Screen Recording and the other categories it appears in. Dropping a QR code in also seemed to fail when I tested that.

Any ideas how to fix it, or if this is truly just a bug in a recent update? Or is that scanning just gone now, intentionally?

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: same (I use Safari)
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @alexclst

Did you install 1Password from the Mac App Store? If so, App Store apps are no longer allowed to use the screen recording APIs to capture on-screen codes like QR codes. The version from our website still can, at least for now. You can also drag and drop the code onto that screen, if you'd prefer to continue using the App Store version.

Ben

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your clear and quick reply.

• efc
    efc
    Community Member
    Options

When did this change? I am also using the Mac App Store version and the "scanner" was working fine until last week.

For clarity, the Mac App Store version should then not include the blue corners and should just show a drag & drop target. The blue corners make it appear like the scanning is broken.

• Ben
    Options

@alexclst

You're very welcome. :)

@efc

I see you asked about this in another thread as well. To avoid a duplication of efforts please try to avoid asking in multiple spots. I'll answer in the other thread.

For clarity, the Mac App Store version should then not include the blue corners and should just show a drag & drop target. The blue corners make it appear like the scanning is broken.

As mentioned over there, we're working with our design team to improve this.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.