Vault password not recognized on Windows app

I synced my Primary vault [iOS 1Password ver 7.3.4] to Dropbox a moment ago, and now I am trying to open the vault on PC [1Password for Windows 7.3.712].

I've pointed the app to the vault (which is an .opvault format) on Dropbox, and entered the vault password that I use on my iOS app, but the PC app claims my password is incorrect. I only have one password for this vault. From what I recall, I never had a separate 1Password account either, nor a record of one noted anywhere. So there shouldn't be any different login data.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @vfxman222,

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

Do you use any international symbols in your master password (don't tell us what symbol it is)?

• vfxman222
    vfxman222
    Community Member

I do not

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@vfxman222:

Has this ever worked before? Were you able to unlock the vault in this Windows app in the past?

• vfxman222
    vfxman222
    Community Member

Yes, the Windows app was able to read my previous vault. Also an .opvault format. Admittedly it was a different vault made with an earlier iOS based backup. Unknown specific version number on that 1Password unfortunately, but it was major version 7 at least. I needed to update this vault with a current one, as one device managed to store locally and wasn’t syncing unknowingly.

I used the reset method under the Help menu to clear the old local vault and then ran into this issue upon adding the new corrected vault.

• Are you absolutely certain you're pointing 1Password to the proper opvault folder here, @vfxman222? Did you have any data in 1Password for Windows when setting this up? It sounds like the answer to that is no since you mentioned the reset, but best to ask. Finally, you mentioned there was a device that wasn't syncing before. Do you recall which device that was? Are you able to share any further detail on what you did following that discovery? Answers to these may shed some light on some possible culprits. Thanks! :chuffed:

• vfxman222
    vfxman222
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Thanks for checking on this @bundtkate, I know it sounds a bit odd. I'll start over a bit for clarity.

I started using 1Password on iOS many many years ago, I don't recall setting up a formal account back then online. I just started using the iOS app. No issues over the years, really love the app. A number of years ago iOS updates and compatibility differences forced me to juggle two versions of 1Password on iOS. One for the phone, and one for the iPad. Wasn't much of an issue, and likely the original point when a secondary vault was created. This was when the opvault format was implemented by your company. Again lived life and all was fine.

I grabbed the Windows version of the app about a year or so ago and imported the vault I had on Dropbox, which apparently was the one from my iPad as my phone data was different and more current. The phone had stopped syncing due to Dropbox updates that broke the link unbeknownst to me at some point. I was unable to update phone iOS for other reasons, but I was ok with it and continued to use the phone version since without syncing.

Flash forward to this month and I now have upgraded my phone, and decided to finally get everything back on the same page. I proceeded to delete the old Dropbox vault, I then backed up the most current vault on old phone to Dropbox and then reset the Windows app to clear the old data out. I wanted to start with a fresh slate. I used this method posted in a thread here:

"Thanks for clarifying; to completely start over 1Password 7 you will want to choose Help -> Troubleshooting -> Reset all 1Password Data in order to reset what 1Password 7 uses."

Upon completion I loaded the vault into the Windows app, it gave me the password error I mentioned initially. I then tried my new phone and it was restored from the new Dropbox vault straight away. No problems with password or anything. Even syncs properly.

Hope that helps in some way. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@vfxman222:

Upon completion I loaded the vault into the Windows app, it gave me the password error I mentioned initially. I then tried my new phone and it was restored from the new Dropbox vault straight away.

It sounds like you had two vaults, and you are pointing the Windows app to the second one. As a quick test, can you open the 1Password for iOS app, and check what vault you have configured in the settings there? Can you confirm that this is the same one you are trying to use in the Windows app?

• vfxman222
    vfxman222
    Community Member

I deleted the old vault and reset the Windows app. So it was opening as if run the first time. In fairness perhaps a cache file or something is being remembered/exists locally on disk of the old one as they did have the exact same name. I will take a look and see if I can view the settings configuration.

• So I still think Ana might be right, @vfxman222. I know, hear me out. That reset data option? That'll clear out the local cache so 1Password for Windows can set up fresh, but it won't delete anything from Dropbox. If you didn't expressly head to Dropbox and delete that old vault, then it's probably still there and could be the one you pointed your PC to. It could also not be and that's not the issue at all, but unless you specifically recall deleting the old vault from Dropbox itself, I think it's still worth ruling out and the steps Ana recommended are a good way to do that. And, honest, even if you are 💯that you did delete that vault from Dropbox, I'd still suggest double-checking that sync path juuuuust in case your iPhone isn't actually syncing.

If you've definitely deleted the old vault, are definitely opening the same one your iPhone was pointed to and the iPhone definitely is syncing, then I'd probably want to take a look at some diagnostics to see if they might yield some further clues. There were some prior issues with specific categories of Master Passwords causing trouble across platforms, but those have been resolved for some time and I can't say I'm aware of anything having that impact on 1Password 7. As such, I find "I'm missing something here ..." to be a more likely explanation and if there's one thing 1Password is really great at, it's telling me what, exactly, I'm missing.

So, give that path a check. If everything looks good, I'd like you to generate diagnostics reports from both your PC (this can be done without having your vualt open) and your iPhone. Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread just in case someone sees it before I do. That way they'll know what's up.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. For bonus points, post that number here. That way I (or my teammates) can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :+1:

We'll take a peek at 1Password's side of the story and see what it thinks we're overlooking. Thanks very much!

• vfxman222
    vfxman222
    Community Member

@bundtkate @ag_ana @MikeT Thanks for everyone chipping in to solve this.

So to answer your question, yes I most definitely deleted the original Dropbox vault from Dropbox, then created that new current backup to the same location. iPhone is pointed to it, iPad is pointed to it, and now the Windows app is pointed to it. So the diagnostics may not be needed, as I've fixed it.

I was in the process of verifying the settings as requested, which had only two options visible since there was no vault synced or imported at that moment. So no helpful clues there unfortunately, but I decided to poke around in the app folder just to see and found the folder structure...

app
    backups
    data
    logs

Upon investigating (I'm tech and code savy, so I'm use to do this type of looking around), I found the "backups" folder had old zip backups and the "data" folder still contained .sqlite file information pointing to the old vault. I deleted both folder contents, then tried to point to the Dropbox vault again. Totally worked this time with no issues.

It appears to me (and I could be wrong), but when performing the reset in the Windows app, it cleared the visible vault data from the front end of the app, but did not clear the data from the source application folders ("backups", and "data"). So perhaps that is why the new attempt to connect to a current vault failed, possibly due to conflicting data. The old vault and the new vault did have the same file names. Regardless, all seems to be working now.

If you'd like me to still send log files or other diagnostics, let me know.

Thanks again.

• That's interesting, @vfxman222. That menu option you used specifically should have cleared the sqlite file as that's is quite literally all it does. Well, technically it renames your data folder and creates a new, empty one when you set up again, but it severs that connection between 1Password and that sqlite file. You shouldn't even be able to see the Welcome screen where you can choose Dropbox and sync up if there's data in that folder. Backups also shouldn't matter. They're ignored unless you explicitly restore one and 1Password 7 makes it all but impossible to do that on accident. Has it been a while since you had originally reset things? I know that process had a bug a while back where it essentially didn't work, but it's been many months (possibly even a year?) since it was corrected and I have yet to see any resurgence of it.

Regardless, I'm glad all is now well and that you were able to dig up the right thing, but if you have any thoughts on why that reset might not have done what was intended, that would be most helpful. :+1:

• vfxman222
    vfxman222
    Community Member

That’s interesting. Well I did find the log showing my initial install was September of 2019. I don’t recall updating the Windows app since then. Perhaps that could be it then. The version number I posted above is what I’m using. If I had to venture a guess that would be it. I don't see any other reason for the cause.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vfxman222,

Thank you for the info! We will discuss this issue with our team.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.