1password x unlock

Options

Win10 with Chrome and Firefox .. all current.
1PW requires re-entering the master PW every time I start the browser even though I have disabled the Security setting to Automatically lock 1PW. Is this expected/designed behavior, or am I missing something?

My goal is to have 1PW X active when I open a browser without having to type in my master PW every time I open a browser, which I will do several times an hour. (I try to keep the number of running apps down.)

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1PW X 1.18.0 for FF
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1909
Sync Type: everything to everything, automatic
Referrer: forum-search:1password x unlock

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wpfreeman! 👋

That's a good question. Since 1Password X operates solely inside your browser, when you fully quit your browser, you're also fully quitting 1Password X. That explains why 1Password X locks each time your browser is quit. The Automatically lock 1Password setting refers to auto-locking after a certain period of idle time or when your computer goes to sleep. There isn't a setting that will cause 1Password X to remain unlocked at all times, nor is it something I'd suggest.

We are currently testing out what we call Desktop App Integration, which allows 1Password X to communicate with the 1Password desktop app. With that technology, 1Password X would be able to adopt the lock state of the 1Password desktop app. That said, we're testing things on macOS at the moment. I'd expect us to move over to Windows once we have everything perfected on the macOS side. That feature could benefit you, so keep an eye out for any future announcements.

• wpfreeman
    wpfreeman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Kaitlyn. That makes sense, now that I understand 1PW X is not a 1PW extension but a free-standing app. I guess, for now, I'll go back to browser extensions since I think those behaved the way I prefer.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wpfreeman – I'm glad I was able to clear things up for you. We offer two extensions – the 1Password companion extension and 1Password X. Both are available on our website by following those links. :)

This discussion has been closed.