To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Help me understand my two vaults.

jfolger
jfolger
Community Member

I'm an IT guy. For a long time. And I'm embarrassed to say Agilebits has finally confused me to the point of needing to ask for help. Perhaps I shouldn't be embarrassed, for maybe it's a testament to the product UI.....but I digress.

So you can see I have two vaults. I recently (and begrudgingly) upgraded to 1P7 on MacOS. I also (today) installed the great new Microsoft Edge. In order to get the extension to work, it appeared I needed to move to the beta on my desktop:

1Password 7
Version 7.4.4.BETA-0 (70404000)
1Password Beta

Let's pretend I reboot my Mac. Both the browser extension and the desktop app are locked. However, I have to use two different passwords to unlock them. I realize now, one password unlocks the website vault at https://my.1password.com/. The other unlocks the desktop app. So, it would appear my browser extension is pointing at the website, while my desktop is my dropbox vault. Yes?

The website is my 'Personal' vault, the local app is my Dropbox vault. Yes?

Now, all that being said, I don't want two vaults. I also don't want Agilebits managing my vault. I want one vault, in one place - Dropbox. Does this mean that the browser can only use the website vault (not the Dropbox vault?).

To add to the fun, the extension for Edge is listed as 1Password X. My desktop is 1Password 7. (?)

I can appreciate what you guys are trying to do, and I'm sure (some of) us knuckledraggers just don't "get it", but this is hands-down the most complicated and needlessly unintuitive upgrade I've ever been a part of. I'm sure I've made it worse than it needs to be, but someone talk me off the ledge.

I'm slow. Explain it slowly.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.4.BETA-0 (70404000) 1Passw
Extension Version: 1.18
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Dropbox / Website

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

my.1password.com can only manage your vault(s) synced via 1Password.com (which would be your vault titled Personal). 1Password X only supports 1Password.com vaults.

A standalone vault will be the one that actually unlocks the 1Password desktop app (see here: https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/)

• Hi folks,

Sorry for the confusion caused. plttn is correct. The recommended way forward would be to switch from the All Vaults view to the Personal vault within your account. This can be done through the vault switcher at the top left of 1Password's main window (when unlocked). Then select the migration tool at Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account. This should leave you with a single vault: Personal.

Ben

• jfolger
    jfolger
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

This is some wild stuff, friends. Thank you, plttn, for your comments, that did help. I followed Ben's direction, and as he indicated, I only have one vault now. We won't talk about it duplicating my 700+ logins, or the fact that the remove duplicates tool only removed ~100. Ugh.

I also fumbled through getting my Android mobile app in sync and using one vault. I cautiously assumed I needed to delete my Primary vault off of the phone, as my phone showed a Primary vault and a Personal vault. (It quietly asks for the password to your Primary vault first, then your Personal vault). I kept giving it the same password twice, not seeing the subtle request for the other vault's password....

SO. We're down to one vault now. >_<

Now, though, I see that Dropbox is just a distant memory to 1Password. I guess we'll ignore my original comment that "I also don't want Agilebits managing my vault. I want one vault, in one place - Dropbox". I should clarify, I'm not opposed to Agilebits managing my stuff, but this whole 'secret keys', master passwords, multiple vaults, etc, was/is a real turn off. If I wanted to add my 1Password account to a new device in the past, I simply installed Dropbox, installed 1Password, and away we went.

I'm assuming there's a workaround for this, but I shutter at what it probably does to my 1password.com account management.

My thoughts are - if you're a brand new user as of today, this probably isn't all too bad. But for legacy users, this ranks up there in all-time upgrade messes. Other than some sort of method to help Agilebits guarantee ongoing subscription revenue, I'm struggling to see how this shift away from local database management helps me as the end user. I feel like I just took a kidney punch in an effort to help 1Password make more money. Tsk.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

See what @Ben had to say here on the legacy/moving forward issue.

• @jfolger

I very much appreciate your comments, though I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the smooth experience we all would've hoped for.

If I wanted to add my 1Password account to a new device in the past, I simply installed Dropbox, installed 1Password, and away we went.

This is now one less step, since you don't need to install Dropbox.

I'm assuming there's a workaround for this, but I shutter at what it probably does to my 1password.com account management.

You could certainly use Dropbox, but it isn't a configuration we'd recommend, particularly in combination with membership. You'd lose out entirely on a number of features.

I feel like I just took a kidney punch in an effort to help 1Password make more money. Tsk.

I am truly sorry that we've made you feel that way. I wrote out some thoughts about this for another customer yesterday, here. At the end of the day we want 1Password to continue to be a financially successful business such that we can continue to deliver the quality of service, support, and software that folks have come to expect from us. Additionally, there are a number of things we've implemented that just weren't feasible with 3rd party sync solutions, many of which were long standing requests from customers like yourself.

I hope things are smoother going forward. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Ben

• jfolger
    jfolger
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I bought my first 1Password license over 8 years ago. I've pushed it to everyone who would listen (and most likely still will). I was one of the loudest objections when it came to switching to a subscription model. Mainly due to the way it was sold - to me, you guys seem to play up the great sharing and family memberships. While everyone in my family uses it, I still see zero reason to worry about managing everyone's account from a central location. But that's me. I just want a simple password manager with cloud syncing.

I actually quit 1P a couple of years ago due to just this - the new revenue model and the utter confusion around upgrading. I suppose I came back with the "can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality. It is a great product, I just think some of us old legacy users were kinda dragged through it kicking and screaming. I appreciate your link to the thread from yesterday, and I understand the bigger picture. I still stand behind my statement that the upgrade process was/is a mess. It wasn't marketed very well, in my opinion.

You've given us lots of bells and whistles and frankly things I never wanted and still don't use. While I appreciate the need to pay good staff, without paying customers you won't be able to. I'm not going anywhere, but guess I would just add that more attention should've been given to simple users. Multiple vaults, family upgrades, 1P6 standalone, 1P7 new, 1PX for browsers, blah blah blah. You guys might find this hard to believe, but many of us have full plates. I don't have time (nor care) to figure out Agilebit's grand scheme for the future. You took something affordable and simple and made it subscription-based and complex.

Don't misread my tone, I'm still a happy 1P user, but sheesh, you're making us work for it. Best wishes.

• I can certainly understand that perspective as someone who went through what was, admittedly, a messy migration. A big push for the way things have evolved is for the purpose of simplifying things. For a low annual rate you get access to 1Password wherever you want to use it, instead of worrying about purchasing and upgrading multiple licenses across multiple app stores, choosing a 3rd party sync service and making sure it is syncing your devices, etc. Standalone isn't something I was comfortable recommending to a lot of my family because it was complex. I have no problem recommending membership to those folks. There is certainly a fair bit of perspective that weighs in, though, and I don't disagree at all that we could've and should've made things easier and more obvious for folks who were already familiar with the existing setup.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.