Can I disable 1P Mini and just use the full app?

I have several reasons for disliking mini, the main one being how it disappears when I have to toggle away to get my password to paste it (yes, I realize you never designed it for this purpose, but it's how I login). I'd be a happy man if I could just skip mini altogether and go back to using the full app to login, but I can't find a way of doing that in the settings. Could you please make it an option to allow those of us who choose to disable mini to actually do so? Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.4.748
Extension Version: Don't use it
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not sure

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cburnham!

Have you considered using the 1Password browser extension instead of either 1Password mini or the 1Password desktop app?

• cburnham
    cburnham
    Community Member

I tend not to use browser extensions because I've had such poor luck with them over the years, so no--I've never installed your extension before. I just use the full app to copy and paste my passwords when I need them.

• Mini needs to be invoked to be used, @cburnham, so while there's no way to disable it, you can use the main app instead by simply pressing Ctrl + Shift + \ when you need a password rather than Ctrl + Alt + \. If you don't tell mini to pop up, it'll stay out of your way. :chuffed:

• friedrickjo
    friedrickjo
    Community Member

@ag_ana , @bundtkate

Is there any plans on either allowing double-click of the tray icon to open the main app, or allowing an option to open the main app instead of the mini, or disable the mini view altogether? It's been asked a few times, and seems like a simple change. The mini view is a PITA.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78040/disable-1password-mini
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/77476/how-do-i-completely-disable-1password-mini

• We certainly might do something like that in the future, @friedrickjo, but I don't see it being a high priority. We already have three different ways to open the main app without ever seeing mini – Ctrl + Shift + \, Ctrl + click, Right-click > Open 1Password app – none of which require a specific setting to use. If there's a reason none of these work for you, of course, we'd love to hear about it. Everyone uses 1Password a little bit differently and while we're unlikely to make everyone totally happy we do like to try. For the most part, though, we've found that most find one of the existing options suitable.

On an unrelated note, I absolutely love your avatar. I made a reference to a Strong Bad email earlier this week in a meeting and absolutely no one got it which made me feel both sad and old so it's nice to see Homestar Runner still making the rounds. :chuffed:

• friedrickjo
    friedrickjo
    Community Member

Understandable @bundtkate , thanks for the response. I guess my request not for 'yet another way' to open the main app, but really an option for the main to be the default I guess (single or double click). I could live without the mini altogether, really. I'll work on adding yet another shortcut to my memory bank or training myself to right click then find the open main app. It would just be convenient is all to click the icon and... you know... open the actual app.

I'm glad to find someone who also remembers Homestar! It should have made it bigger than it did :)

• I can sympathize with the shortcut overload, @friedrickjo. I genuinely hate touching my mouse so I do make some extra efforts to improve, but the reality is that I'm the major limitation when it comes to avoiding mouse use. Unless I use a shortcut all the time I forget it as often as I need it. We use a tool that allows us to save commonly used replies and insert them with abbreviations and while I've saved a lot over the years, I still don't use it much at all because I can't remember the abbreviations I set. 🙈 Not helpful, I know, but hopefully it makes you feel a bit better that you're not alone. And, for what it's worth, opening 1Password is something I do often enough that it really didn't take that shortcut long to sink in and I do use mini, so hopefully you'll have a similar experience and find it's second nature in no time. :+1:

I also couldn't agree more about Homestar. Right after I made that reference, I asked my fiancee if he knew what I was talking about and he'd NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT. Needless to say, I almost called off the wedding right then and there, but he's overall a pretty swell dude, so I've decided to educate him instead. :wink:

• VashonDan
    VashonDan
    Community Member

+4 -- the 'mini view' is quite terrible for family use where you need to go into different vaults. It's causing mayhem in my family and they want to go back to Dashlane. Everyone in our family really dislikes (full on hates) the mini mode*. The response of teaching everyone to hold CTRL down when opening is not a customer obsessed response... sorry for the harsher tone but the above said "not a high priority" and, for me as a customer, this is the #1 reason we 4 of us might leave 1Password.

Suggested fix: In settings, you have "Keyboard Shorts" section. Add a "Make Default" button and then have the labels for "Open 1Password app" and "Open 1Password mini" append "(default)". The one you seem to prefer is "Open 1Password mini (default)".

*We hate mini because 1/ it's a poor version of the app mode which the family likes and the first thing all 4 of us did was make mini, maxi-sized. The nav pane is useless in maxi-sized mode... it is silly to have a 40 pixel wide navigation pane in a 1800 pixel wide view. This is the very definition of 'responsive UX', which mini-mode does not adhere to. App mode is far, far more intuitive for new customers and so it might help with free-trial to paid conversion rates.

• Thanks so much for taking the time to share your perspective here, @VashonDan. We appreciate the input. :)

Ben

• VashonDan
    VashonDan
    Community Member

We ended going back to Dashlane... could not win my family over with "Hold down CTRL". Sorry.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @VashonDan, sorry to hear that! Do you use the main app a lot?

I wonder if you gave 1Password X a try. It is a fully-fledged extension in your browser and you can use it separately from 1Password 7 for Windows.

Please let me know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• mat200
    mat200
    Community Member

Just purchased 1Password 7, how can I hide the mini-view or disable it? I do not want anyone to know that I am using 1Password, when using my laptop in public a place; The mini-view displays the little icon for 1Password all the time which is a security risk, if someone knows that I have it installed, plus it keeps the 1Password process active all the time, I need the process to be terminated once I close 1Password.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mat200,

1Password mini is a part of 1Password 7, it is not a separate process. The icon that you see in the system tray is a 1Password icon, not a 1Password mini icon. The thing is that when you close 1Password window, it still runs in the background, and this is what you see in the system tray.

If you have any concerns, you can lock 1Password 7 when you finish working with your data. The current version of 1Password 7 for Windows terminates all processes when it locks and starts a new one when you launch it again from the taskbar or system tray. This is a security measure.

You can also change auto-lock timer in Settings > Security. Moreover, you can lock 1Password 7 manually by clicking Lock icon in the upper right corner of the app or pressing Windows logo key + Shift + L on your keyboard.

Let me know if it helps. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• mat200
    mat200
    Community Member

Thanks Greg for your advice,
    I noticed that the 1Password 7 consumes a lot of system memory compared to 1Password 4.
    It is possible to have 1Password 7 process to be active only when required?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mat200,

I believe that you can close 1Password 7 completely every time you finish working with your data, but it doesn't sound convenient, to be honest. If 1Password 7 consumes a lot of system memory, it is not right and we will need to look into that. Please shoot us a message to support+windows@agilebits.com, explain the situation, and we will investigate.

Alternatively, if you have 1Password account, you can give 1Password X a try. This is our new type of extension that works entirely in your browser without the need to connect to 1Password 7.

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.