[Feature Request] App matching/memory/preference

Options
t0hvanah
t0hvanah
Community Member

Just like URLs are used to match saved logins with websites in browsers, it would be very useful to have a feature matching saved logins with specific apps. This could just be a history feature that caused the last used passwords last used in a particular app to float to the top of the suggestions.

I find myself using the same 1Password items in the same apps over and over again. 1Password should remember what I've used in what context!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @t0hvanah!

Thank you for the suggestion! 1Password can already show you the relevant login if you are inside an app ;) But since it cannot fill automatically inside apps like it can do in a browser, I think this might not be possible.

• sjt
    sjt
    Community Member
    Options

1Password could check what the frontmost app is and show suggestions based on that, it would be very useful.
    For example, when I open my VPN app and need to sign in, I then open the 1Password helper and it shows the vpn password.

• t0hvanah
    t0hvanah
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana In what way does 1Password "already show you the relevant login if you are inside an app"? In my experience, you have to search for the relevant login items; user intervention, not an app feature. I'm glad we can invoke 1Password mini anywhere in the OS, but I'm asking for greater contextual awareness!

@sjt Exactly! I'm constantly opening a 3rd party VPN app, invoking 1Password (⌘/) and then searching for the login credentials. If 1Password checked the frontmost app, and did some matching it would make my life much easier, and 1Password much "smarter".

The matching could be based on what app you were in when it was created (some of this info is already stored: when I create a new password in the Calendar app, the default name of the password is "Calendar" and the URL is "app://com.apple.iCal"), what passwords you last used in the current app, and/or it could be a manual setting per login item.

• Ben
    Options

1Password could check what the frontmost app is and show suggestions based on that, it would be very useful.

Right; it already does that. Which apps specifically are you having trouble getting this to work with? As an example, if I open the Slack app, and then open 1Password mini, 1Password shows me my Slack logins as suggestions. The same happens with Transmit. We don't (and can't) do this with every app that's out there, as it is a manual mapping that we have to do on our end, but many of the popular apps have such mappings. If we're missing one, we can look at adding it (if possible).

Thanks. :)

Ben

• t0hvanah
    t0hvanah
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I see what you mean, and maybe this is new with 1Password 7 (which I recently upgraded to)? This is more than I thought 1P did, but I still think it could do more...

Transmit seems a good example. It seems to match to "panic.com", but the nature of the Transmit app is such that I would want access to logins for other sites. However to get them to appear in Transmit, I'd have to add "panic.com" as a URL.

A major limitation of this feature is the sheer number of applications out there, and you state that this is done by a "manual" process. So using some method of memory/matching as I've suggested would be a broader solution. What about matching to any URL scheme the frontmost app utilizes? 70% of what I use 1Password for is web based, but I use passwords throughout macOS!

In any case, if you want to help me out... Please add FileMaker Pro/FileMaker Pro Advanced, and SonicWall Mobile Connect! :p :)

• Ben
    Options

@t0hvanah

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. Yes, this is new in 1Password 7. There may be ways in which we can expand it going forward. :+1:

Ben

• sjt
    sjt
    Community Member
    Options

Would it be possible for users to associate apps with a password instead?
    For example, i have my company wide login details; they are for several internal websites, the vpn (+ otp), etc.
    If I could mark this password as associated with Forticlient (our VPN client) as well as several sites, that would be the feature I'm looking for I guess.

• Ben
    Options

@sjt

The way to do that would be to add a website field to this company-wide Login item for each app you want to use it with. The field would need to be filled with app://bundle-id-of-app as the URL (replacing bundle-id-of-app with the app's bundle ID). One way to find the bundle ID is to generate and save a password using the password generator in 1Password Mini while the app in question is in the foreground. You can also find it in the app's Info.plist file, though that takes a little more digging.

Ben

• sjt
    sjt
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

I've written a small AppleScript that will generate an app://bundle-id for a chosen application and put it in your clipboard here:
    https://gist.github.com/samjt/a1b9c7c94cc0a601cc5b425280bb6eba

[Note from 1Password: We have not reviewed and as such cannot endorse this 3rd party utility, however we appreciate the author's effort]

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing, @sjt. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.