Likely Bug: "service not available" error when log into Schwab for first time with 1Password X

When I logged into Schwab for the first time using Firefox and 1Password X, I got a service not available error. It seems to fill in the user name and password, but fails after that. It fails even when I type in the user name and passoword. I was able to resolve the problem by restarting Firefox in safe mode (which disables all the extensions), logging in, going through Schwab's OTP process and indicating that I trust the browser. Then when I restart Firefox regularly, 1Password X works fine. It seems like something in the way Schwab and 1Password X interact is preventing the OTP process. I haven't had this issue on other sites (at least not yet).

1Password Version: 1Password X for Firefox
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15.3
Sync Type: cloud
Referrer: forum-search:schwab

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @schnallfam! 👋

Thanks for getting this on our radar. While I don't personally have a Schwab account that I can test this out on, I've asked one of my colleagues to give it a shot and let me know what the process is like for them signing in on a new browser profile (like they're signing in for the first time so they'd be prompted for 2FA). Have you been able to sign in normal ever since you chose to trust the browser? I'll let you know as soon as I get news from my colleague on how their experience went.

• Hi @schnallfam! I'm the colleague. 🙂 I just tried logging in to my Schwab account in a brand-new Firefox instance at this URL, with just 1Password X installed. After filling my username and password, I was prompted to choose the form I'd like to receive my 2FA code in (text message, voice call, etc.). I chose text message, got my code, and selected to remember me, and I was signed in and ready to go.

So I'm wondering about a few things here. You mentioned you tried safe mode in Firefox; do you have any other extensions installed by chance? It's also possible something funky has happened to your Firefox profile, and starting it in safe mode allowed things to load properly. Can you try things in a clean profile, with just 1Password X installed, and see if the issue persists?

https://support.mozilla.org/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles

If this doesn't help:

• What is the exact URL you are signing in on?
    • Do you have 2FA set to always prompt at log-in, or to remember the device (I believe the latter, but just want to be absolutely sure we're testing the same setup)?
    • Which form of 2FA are you utilizing — text, call, Symantec VIP app, etc.?
  • schnallfam
    schnallfam
    Community Member

I can't replicate the problem today on either a clean or fully configured instance of firefox. I untrusted my browser at Schwab, deleted all the cookies and everything worked like it did in safe mode on two different computers and operating systems. Something was clearly awry yesterday, but whatever it was seems to be better now. Sorry to expend your time.

• Huh, that's strange! Well, I'm glad the problem doesn't exist anymore. Maybe something odd was up with their site at the time and things were just purely coincidental. :smile: But no worries, we'd rather know about potential problems than have you keep something to yourself that turns out to be an actual issue. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.