How to restore 1password 7 on a Macintosh

Options
Guffee
Guffee
Community Member

I'm using a subscription version of 1Password 7, version 7.4.3, on my iMac.

A few days ago I made a mistake and "messed up" some of my tags in the sidebar, and now I’d like to restore (from the AgileBits server, I presume) 1PW7 from a few days ago.

I don’t know how to do a restoral. I can’t find out how to do it from either your website or the forum. (Several web pages say to go either to Preferences or to Find to find the Restore button, but my 1PW7 doesn’t have the Restore button in either of those two places.)

So, please, how can I restore 1PW7 from an earlier date?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: n/a
Referrer: forum-search:how to restore from 1password 7 on a macintosh

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Guffee!

Since you have a 1Password account, backups are taken automatically for you. If you want to restore items to a previous version, you can use the Item History feature on the website.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I don't understand at all how that works. Any seeming-link is dead, and I don't know what link I'm supposed to click on anyway.
    This time I will restore by copy&paste from another Password Mgt. app I keep running alongside 1Password. It's saved the day many times over the years with troubles I've had with 1Password.
    When 1Password is functioning properly it does a beautiful job.
    I'll pay attention to the restoral procedure in the future. It seems to me to be much more difficult than it should be.
    All the same, thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Guffee:

Any seeming-link is dead, and I don't know what link I'm supposed to click on anyway.

If you want to let us know exactly at what steps you are getting stuck at, we would love to help you :+1:

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Well, I wasn't interested in restoring individual items. Rather, I was interested in restoring 1Password in its entirety, just as it was possible to do in years past.

But, since you've shown me the instructions on how to "Revert to a previous version of an item", I'd like to know how that works. Those first two instructions followed by my comments are as follows:

1. Open the vault that contains the item you want to revert to a previous version.
      I don't know much about 'Vaults'. I have a simple setup with just one vault, I guess; and aren't I already in it when
      I have 1PW open and am looking at all my items?
    2. Select the item, and click "View item history". Items are sorted by date with the most recent version at the top.
      I am unable to see "View item history". So, that's as far as I get with that. (Please ignore what I wrote yesterday about dead links.)
  • @Guffee

For clarification, this in happening in your account and not the Mac app.

1. You have a single vault, so you would open that vault, showing the list of items. By your description you may indeed be within that vault.
    2. The item history is shown immediately below the tags field. Items with no history will have no representation show to the user.
This discussion has been closed.